Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: alsetalokinthe way they were doing it, by welding flat panels to an internal framework
    No. They have an IMCAR machine to produce 9m diameter rings using a single butt weld for closure, which rings are then butt-welded to one another. You can thus see how a spiral weld is superior. Elon has critiqued this in the past because he wants variable thickness stainless and saw no way to get 'er done with a spiral technique. The above scheme seems to address this. I am not convinced yet.

Anent Starship design, I had a little chat with our buddy Elon last night, purely out of the blue. I was watching SN1 at the launchpad - on the LabPadre chat stream - in case of a putative pressure test. We all like explosions, right?

I was chatting about Deep Throttling (yeah) and the fact that they aren't getting much below 50% with the current Raptor incarnations. Worst case between Earth, Moon and Mars is a lunar landing with a lightly loaded Starship, even using just a single Raptor.

Elon chimed in that deep throttling is going to improve Real Soon Now - somewhere between SN6-10 it's aspirationally 20%, he said.

I suspect for landings on the likes of Ceres, this won't suffice and thrusters will be necessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2020

Taking the Mars payload mass as 15,000 kg (150 tonnes on earth) the weight at Ceres' surface would be 4000 N, which is 0.2% of the Raptor capability, so I suppose that's right.

Anybody want to check that for me? I always get confused about weight and mass when we are dealing with metric tonnes.
    Yabut the main point is appreciated. Good enough for me
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThey have an IMCAR machine to produce 9m diameter rings using a single butt weld for closure, which rings are then butt-welded to one another.

Oh. I was just going by what I saw a month or so ago, when they were welding panels to some internal framework. Before it buckled.
    Circumferential pucker
    I love it when you talk dirty
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2020

China's groundbreaking lunar rover found nearly 40 feet of dust on the far side of the moon

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-lunar-rover-found-thick-dust-on-moon-far-side-2020-2

We should have never fired that Korean housekeeper, nor chauffeur, nor tutor . . .
    No wonder there's a lump in the rug.

At least it's not a parakeet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

It's not dead. It's sleeping.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Pinin' for the fjords...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Slartibartfast.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2020

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2020 edited

Ouch!!!!
    Wind?

ETA
    Oh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Was that supposed to happen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Hopefully no Coronavirus there.

Parallel universes exist and we will soon explore them, physicist says.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/parallel-universes-exist-soon-explore-21559440
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: TrimHopefully no Coronavirus there.

Parallel universes exist and we will soon explore them, physicist says.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/parallel-universes-exist-soon-explore-21559440

I prefer the perpendicular ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2020 edited

Posted By: TrimWas that supposed to happen?

Yes. It's all part of the spectacle.

You cannot keep liquid nitrogen in a sealed vessel. Look at a phase diagram.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Isn't that the second Starship to self emulate?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2020

Now there's a usage that I'm not familiar with.

Perhaps you meant self-immolate?