Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2021 edited

Ha.

So we are to imagine you as a Scottish-Cree-Welshman? I wonder how Trimmie will cope..
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2021

There’s a fair degree of Cornish and German in there somewhere as well. I’d call me a “bitzer”.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The colonies are a wonderful repository of how things should go. I hope they do.

In my case Scottish-Irish-Icelandic. Can't claim any indigenous.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

It’s called “hybrid vigour”. And the Irish (and the Scots) are indigenes of Ireland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: loremanAnd the Irish (and the Scots) are indigenes of Ireland.

I doubt that. Colonists, you can bet.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

The latest thinking is that the Celts spread out from what is now the British Isles into Europe and were then pushed back again. Rather than the tin miners travelling from Hallstatt to Britain, it now appears that the opposite occurred. The Scottish “waded across the Irish Sea” as I once heard an archeologist put it.

But we are all colonists, of one sort or another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes. Who was there before the Celts, who were certainly not the first settlers of the British Isles?

I think you mentioned having visited Skara Brae - those weren't Celts. But who were they?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

They weren’t Cree, that’s for sure.

Possibly proto-celts. As I understand it, the whole shebang’s been turned on it’s head very recently by someone pointing out that a migration away from the British Isles and then back better fit the archeological evidence than the more traditional “came from Hallstatt” theory.

And yes, I’ve been to Hallstatt too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Celtic culture seems to have started somewhere in the Bronze Age. There' would be a couple of thousand years for them to keep busy between being Grooved Ware people and being Proto- Celts. The Skara Brae people might be Celts in the same sense that we're Egyptians.

I'll bet they were colonists (or worse).
    • CommentAuthorloreman

That’s the Wikipedia view-the jury is most definitely out on all that.

And we’re all colonists, of one sort or another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well that's only to be expected. Everything I know I learned from Wikipedia. Or Paul Cooper.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Anyway, in following the trail of the Celts and proto Celts I’ve been to some pretty spectacular places, from Galway Bay to France and the Austrian mountains. The Celts lived there until they were chased out of many of them by those inveterate colonists the Romans, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Have you any thoughts about the Celts that apparently lived in the Xinjiang region of China?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

No, and I doubt I’ll go there.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I presume you mean this

More colonists.

Dr T says that it's all in keeping with the Celts' adventurous nature
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: AngusHa.

So we are to imagine you as a Scottish-Cree-Welshman? I wonder how Trimmie will cope..

Excellently of course as normal, being the the only pure blood mongrel on this planet.
    As regards British paleohistory, geologic events - specifically the advances and retreats of immense glaciers - played a dominant role in its settlement over the past half million years. The place was alternately cleared out and then resettled countless times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes. And I think it has not been an island for the whole of human history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Can SpaceX use Advanced Plasma Propulsion for Starship? - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moZvxL4mhNk&t=202s
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

A bit out of date but still interesting data about Bezos engines.

The BE-4 is more powerful than the Raptor. But is it better? - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzT1K7mYkiQ&t=259s