Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2022

Classified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2022

I am SHOCKED.
    About a year ago I posted on two physics papers dealing with warp drives. I guess nobody noticed.
    In addition to Lenz, there's also the paper from Bobrick & Martire. And of course Sonny White keeps plugging away.

I take issue with the assertion that spacetime itself can "move faster than light". Gainsaying me is inflation theory and the so-called flux velocity across an event horizon. I do however draw some conviction from the fact that something real - a gravitational wave - provably propagates at c, and no faster.
    I was curious to find out who had cited these papers in the interim. Here's the B&M list
    https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=12459498858363920710&as_sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&hl=en
    and here's the Lenz list for his latest 2022 paper (I had cited the original from 2021)

...whatever...
    check also my other ref (Fell & Heisenberg)
    Is Interstellar Travel Impossible? (PBS Spacetime)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdP_UDSsuro
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2022

Sure, it's possible.

Just not quickly.
    0.2c will do for starters
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman0.2c will do for starters

Very decent of you, squire.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: TrimRussia's New Nuclear Rocket SHOCKS The Entire Space Industry!

Russia? The country that can't even make anti-lock brakes or airbags?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The key is in the interpretation of SHOCKS.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Je suis choqué
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Non, non. C'est CHOQUĖ.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

I'd be very CHOQUĖ if Russia doesn't fall apart in the next 10 years, let alone launch nuclear powered rockets into space.
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman0.2c will do for starters

Very decent of you, squire.
    Philip Lubin his fault
    A nice snappy summary about how to transcend chemical rockets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYJhxCU6gBU
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2022

I didn't see anything non-chemical that would get you from terra firma to orbit. What did I miss?
    Chiefly you're right IIRC. But there was one mention of SSTO somewhere at the end.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2022

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the bulk of chemical fuel was used in the first hundred miles or so. Once you're outside Earth's gravity well, propulsion is a lot less demanding.
    The video was about ways to do interplanetary travel (meaning chiefly Mars) that are faster than chemical rockets. I think it did a reasonable job.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2022

Sure, but the general tenor of the clip was that "Chemical propulsion clumsy and inefficient" while ignoring the fact that unless one can develop antigravity, you need controlled explosion to get the blasted spacecraft off the ground.

Or do you think that Spinlaunch is anything but an impractical idea?