Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014

The statement does not care about anything.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

The statement sounds like a real dickhead. Who put such a nasty thing in a nice place like this?
    Hey, if we can't figure out in a million years of trying how to bat rocks out of the way, it is we who are the dickheads
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I agree with korkscrew. Statements like that should be put in prison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014 edited

Po

I wonder if something like this could be helpful for a Laser ablation space launch system?

Creating optical cables out of thin air.

http://phys.org/news/2014-07-optical-cables-thin-air.html

New laser technology could divert lightning strikes.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-laser-technology-lightning.html
    So the lightning misses the building and drives itself straight down the bore of the expensive laser? A bit daft
    There are many talks at the NIAC link I posted. A key tech I keep whining about is the ability to use purely local materials to build stuff. Check out Berok Khoshnevis' talk on this.

http://www.livestream.com/niac2014/video?clipId=pla_968e4646-c1e2-484d-8b54-bf379acb3466
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014 edited

Earth's so called twin Venus is supposed to have started off like earth but all the water evaporated away, or did it?

G

The Planet's Biggest Water Supply Might Be Hidden 400 Miles Below the surface.

http://gizmodo.com/the-planets-biggest-water-supply-might-be-hidden-400-mi-1590063135

So has Venus billions of tons of ringwoodite below its surface?

It is too difficult and dangerous to access it on earth, why would we what to?

But Venus (if there was any living things there) would have a large demand for water to supply the sky islands that could be built fifty miles above the surface, modifying sulphuric acid wouldn't supply enough long term.

How to access the ringwoodite?

A possible answer might be to melt a way down to it using molten radioactive material, nobody would worry about radio activity on the surface of Venus if there was a reaction with the atmosphere you might end up with steam and diamonds, that would be worth fracking for.

S

The high water storage capacity of minerals in Earth’s mantle transition zone (410- to 660-kilometer depth) implies the possibility of a deep H2O reservoir, which could cause dehydration melting of vertically flowing mantle. We examined the effects of downwelling from the transition zone into the lower mantle with high-pressure laboratory experiments, numerical modeling, and seismic P-to-S conversions recorded by a dense seismic array in North America. In experiments, the transition of hydrous ringwoodite to perovskite and (Mg,Fe)O produces intergranular melt. Detections of abrupt decreases in seismic velocity where downwelling mantle is inferred are consistent with partial melt below 660 kilometers. These results suggest hydration of a large region of the transition zone and that dehydration melting may act to trap H2O in the transition zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThere are many talks at the NIAC link I posted. A key tech I keep whining about is the ability to use purely local materials to build stuff. Check out Berok Khoshnevis' talk on this.

http://www.livestream.com/niac2014/video?clipId=pla_968e4646-c1e2-484d-8b54-bf379acb3466

Thanks.
    That tech, or similar, plus AI, and we can start practising the establishment of infrastructure. The last thing we want on manned missions is another flag-planting, golf-playing exercise. Ideally everything is in place when we arrive. I'm curious how the beer and Steak 'n' Kiddly pies will taste when fabricated from Martian regolith
    It may look like steak-and-offal, but it will taste like yeast.
    Or chicken
    Martian chicken tastes like yeast too.
    I find that depressing
    Spices. The person who has the spice concession will get rich quickly on Mars.
    I think you're mixing Mars up with Dune
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Maybe they can farm worms there.

A simple nuclear meltdown won't unfortunately get anywhere near 400 miles deep on Venus, so that means that a much more expensive and complicated nuclear powered drill bit will be needed, shame.

How much sulphuric acid is on Venus?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimHow much sulphuric acid is on Venus?

A lot more than here. And there's a lot here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

So the hydrogen in it could be turned into water.

Maybe all the West's political prisoners can be transported to the continent sized floating islands, that Andrew will build there?
    Sulphuric acid can be turned into water via the Unpronounceable Name process