Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019

It's still safer than that putative plan for an airplane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

In what way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The 2000 mile swim and the sharks, octopus, jellyfish and snails constitue a smaller danger than that ornithopteresque monstrosity.
    Right. I'd take a 737MAX painted up like a killer whale over that, any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

In fifteen years when the plane is built even an Australian lawyer will be to old to swim 2000 miles.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Mate, I have trouble making 50 metres these days
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

So take the plane, battery aircraft should produce less CO2 and could even 'fly' underwater.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019 edited

Transoceanic luxury passenger submarines! I love it. With blimps or even grand dirigible airships for the short inter-island hops and regional service. All electric. Captain Nemo would be proud!

Travel below the waves and weather, in calm quiet comfort in the luxurious Nautilus III. Experience the grand cuisine offered by the Seven Seas. Join our safari leader for big game hunting at 100 fathoms. View terrifying denizens of the depths -- at a safe distance of course.

For a small additional fee, a dinner with James Mason can be arranged.
    Brass. There needs to be lots of polished, gleaming brass. And big dials, and big levers! And upholstered leather seats...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

How do I patent the idea?
    just dial
    1-800- titanic
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinFor a small additional fee, a dinner with James Mason can be arranged.

I'm quite interested in this. How much are you having to charge? Do you think we can do a deal on a technology licence?

James Neville Mason ( 15 May 1909 – 27 July 1984)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

My clone from bone marrow factory, will try to oblige.

Although clones of Jayne Mansfield are proving extremely popular.On
    This week only, for a select few passengers, we will have a visitation from the shade of Jules Verne, in the forward galley. No-host bar reception follows.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Can't see myself catching this to Brisbane

No fuel. Feed it fish.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2019 edited

Don't think this has been in here. Interesting part... what do you do when you hear "minimums" "minimums" and everything in front of you is a gray haze? Whatever it is, they didn't do it! (Missed approach)

Person in jump seat with smartphone camera caught this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4rn56-Res&feature=youtu.be

You can see they also ignored, what was it? Eight separate audio warnings from the flight computer?

Here is the official sim made from the flight recorder just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oe6_fqrSmI

What I want to know is... the Captain had 19000 hours, many in type... the FO was also very experienced. What were they thinking?

Apparently one person drowned... everyone else escaped with their lives. If there was a cat aboard, he's down to 8.
    Gwd what idiots. Busting minimums by a few feet might be OK if you are on the glideslope and have the correct descent rate. Not recommended but usually survivable. But trying to intercept the glideslope from above with a high sink rate, at minimums, with the airplane protesting as much as it can....

I don't put much weight on the number of hours that a modern airliner captain might have logged. It's not like the old days when the airlines had plenty of ex military pilots who had real experience flying. These modern pilots did most of their time in sims and actual airliners (newly rated pilot, pay to fly as FO, then into the left seat of an airliner after a year or so). A flight might last 4 hours, of which the pilot only actually flies the thing (hands on controls, making real time corrections in attitude, maneuvering the aircraft manually) for a few minutes during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time the pilot is just there to monitor the autopilot and make PA announcements. So that impressive sounding 19000 hours logged becomes a few tens of hours actually flying and making critical decisions.
    You've got two people in that cockpit, neither one of whom is actually doing their job, and the airplane is trying its best to warn them that they are about to crash into the ocean short of their runway, and they just continue on, fat dumb and soon to be unhappy.
    That's why I don't fly commercially. Sure, it's safer than houses, but there isn't an idiot piloting my house.
    As a glider towpilot I had the opposite problem, if you can call it that. I generally logged six or seven maximum performance takeoffs and landings per hour of flight time. If a student is practicing pattern tows (the glider equivalent of touch-and-goes) that could go up to ten or eleven per hour. And on those busy summer days I might log 50 tows. And on wave days.... long, high altitude tows with two trips through the rotor, there and back. With a ballasted open class racer on the rope. And turbulence that makes you glad for the cable temples on the RayBan Aviators.
    I think if the airplane is telling you to Pull Up, you probably should give it the benefit of the doubt and PULL UP. It could be wrong, but UP is where the rocks aren't, at least.
    And a go-around remains an option.