Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2019

Whereas Ford made a rational economic decision with the Pinto.
    I can attest to corruption in the Euro MIC. One German bloke I knew used proceeds to construct a large sub-basement swimming pool under his house.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinBoth companies are responsible for hundreds of deaths caused ultimately by company and industry and regulatory cultures. The similarities are astounding, really. Both Airbus and Boeing have made airplanes that have scared the pants off of lucky pilots and passengers and killed hundreds of unlucky ones due to collisions between unanticipated software issues and pilot training or lack of it, occurring inside a regulatory environment that was like a veritable incubator for danger.

It can't really be that bad, can it? Air travel is incredibly safe these days, and getting safer.

• CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Unlike being a pedestrian in the USA, which is getting rather dangerous.

Crossing the road outside the airport is more dangerous that actually flying.

Sure, aviation is statistically safer than getting out of bed on a cold morning.... for the individuals who travel without consequence. But show that chart to the relatives and friends of the nearly one thousand people who perished in only three crashes (two Boeing, one Airbus) involving bad software, corrupt corporate culture, and even worse piloting, and talk to _them_ about how safe flying really is. And I'll wager that you yourself wouldn't fly on the first 737MAX that is returned to service once the software is "fixed". Maybe I'll lose that wager... but I won't be dying in an airplane crash, either.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinMaybe I'll lose that wager...

Probably.

but I won't be dying in an airplane crash, either.

Chances are, I wont either.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: BigOilRep[div class=CommentHeader][span][/span][/div][div class=CommentBody id=CommentBody_2104007]Unlike being a pedestrian in the USA, which is getting rather dangerous.[/div]

Mostly due to increased distracted driving. The price we pay for smartphones.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AsterixMostly due to increased distracted driving. The price we pay for smartphones.

Actually, that's not what most of the experts think.

Ask a room full of safety experts about smartphones and you will get a mix of resignation, bemusement and contempt. “I tend not to buy the smartphone distraction stuff,” says Garrick, echoing nearly identical comments from just about everyone I talked to. “To me, it reads as shoving aside actually dealing with the relevant issues.” What particularly bothers him, he says, is how poorly thought out the distraction discourse tends to be. In the UK, Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Austria and Iceland, for example, pedestrian deaths occur at a per capita rate roughly half of America’s, or lower. Are we really to believe that the citizens of these countries are 50% less susceptible than Americans to distraction, by their phones or anything else?

Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/03/collision-course-pedestrian-deaths-rising-driverless-cars

The main drivers, ahem, appear to be USAn's driving even more than ever and switching driving lethal trucks and SUVs.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

With my casual conversations with road repair crews, I've gotten the impression that "the guy didn't even stop for the flagger; he just blew right by us" has gotten to be more common in my area.

Locally, we've seen more pedestrian-involved accidents occurring at marked and signaled crosswalks. A couple of years ago, a driver killed an entire family of five while they were crossing with the signal in a well-lit crosswalk. Driver kept on going--was only apprehended when a repair shop turned her in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: alsetalokinMaybe I'll lose that wager... but I won't be dying in an airplane crash, either.

Not sure why you think you are safe on the ground. Safer yes, but even on the ground you can still die in an airplane crash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Pedestrian accidents going up here, as well as hit-and-run. I suppose this might be related to the defect in moral training that al noted the other day.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: alsetalokinMaybe I'll lose that wager... but I won't be dying in an airplane crash, either.

Not sure why you think you are safe on the ground. Safer yes, but even on the ground you can still die in an airplane crash.

Most people who die in airplane crashes do so on the ground anyway. Or in the water, pretty much same-same.

And a lot of people who don't die in airplane crashes do die in bed, so I've ordered a hammock from Amazon... I can't find any instances of ex-pilots dying in a hammock so I should be safe for a while.

At least until they start putting software in hammocks. "Smart hammocks".... gmafb.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

You should remain standing throughout your life. Most people die when prone.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Vertical burials save a lot of space. You can get three or four in the space of one ordinary horizontal burial. Easier to dig too. A big auger on a backhoe and in ten or fifteen minutes you have a ten foot deep by two foot acrost gravehole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It's true. People are prone to die. It's almost universal among them.

But they are most often in a supine position.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019 edited

Every now and then I have to put myself through this story once again to remind myself what might have been...

...if the Conservatives hadn't fucked it all up one day in 1959.

That day is what my generation of engineers remembers as Black Friday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2019 edited

That's pretty cool, but I see it more as an engineering exercise instead of a viable aircraft design.

But I did not know about Lilium until I saw the links from that article. This seems really exciting to me.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2019

I will apply the one year rule to the Max.

This is a little different topic but fits in with Al's very apt prior remark that "it'll buff out!"
    This is a badly handled Martin 242 -- how many discrete errors can you identify?
    BTW, I owned a Martin 242 some years ago and I can tell you they are an easy to sail, highly responsive small boat. There is little excuse for ending up this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYTGre3fAA

If you're in a hurry, the first 2 1/2 minutes tell the story. The remainder is search and rescue. Nobody was seriously hurt IIRC. But the potential was certainly there! A clue to the issue is that unlike many larger cruising boats with masthead rigs and overlapping genoas, the main driving force on the M242 is the mainsail and the jib alone is pretty useless. In high winds, the correct procedure is to reef the main and partly roll up the jib if you use it at all. The boat has a large rudder and little tendency to round up when on mainsail alone. But you do have to keep your speed up!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2019 edited

Now this is really about aviation. Some amazing places you can take a helicopter. If you're a little bit crazy. And an amazingly good pilot who makes it look easy which it ain't.

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhlcMklI5CY

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0z9B6Zcjg