Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2020

A girl scout campsite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Streaming video not available to me for the past and next few weeks. I generally don't remember the Mulroney era with affection.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

It deals with de Havilland and a diagnosis of wheels coming off their landing gear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not my department.

Wernher von Braun.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2020 edited

Dennis A. Muilenburg, who was ousted as Boeing’s chief executive last month as the company contended with the biggest crisis in its history, will depart with more than $60 million, the company said Friday.

- NYT

It's going to be tough trying to survive on that.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2020

He might make it if he cuts back on the Dom Pérignon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

How will he brush his teeth?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

And enemas?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Anyone want to discuss Ukranian Airlines flight 752?

I wonder if military radar operations for missile control include IFF and transponder codes... also ADS-B. I bet Al knows. After the USS Vincennes incident in 1988, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

you'd think all countries and airlines would be more cautious. And Iran especially!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

See the Iran thread.
    Nobody believes that IFF stuff any more since an attacking drone will simply spoof it. "Hey, don't worry that I'm boosting through your wedding cake at Mach 4, I'm squawking 1200 so stand down those SAMs!"
    Nowadays, in that arena, a missile crew knows it isn't under attack... because it is still alive.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2020

Nobody believes that IFF stuff any more since an attacking drone will simply spoof it. "Hey, don't worry that I'm boosting through your wedding cake at Mach 4, I'm squawking 1200 so stand down those SAMs!"

I am not suggesting that anyone would use ADS-B or a transponder code alone to rule out an attack. But it, and airline schedules (yes, I know they were an hour late) and any other relevant information should be used to avoid accidental downing of non-military aircraft. And these people were slobs. With my $9.95 iPhone app (FlightRadar24) I can determine the call sign, altitude, heading and speed of any commercial aircraft anywhere in the world equipped with either a transponder or ADS-B and essentially all modern ones are. With a $10 app, one could monitor for commercial aircraft better than the Iranian missile crew did.

Of course, anything can be spoofed except probably the primary radar return so everything needs to be correlated.

As for the missile crew getting hit, as Al pointed out, they probably can't defend against any modern missile (like a radar homing Hellfire) or a stealth fighter or bomber anyway. So if they see a fat target clearly visible and maneuvering like an airliner (in a moderate speed, moderate rate of climb path) it's absolutely f'n obvious it isn't going to harm them. If in doubt, scramble fighters to check it out. Not rocket science.

This specific accident required truly stupendous incompetence, negligence and abject stupidity on the part of everyone related to the Iranian missiles. Buy the fuckers iPhones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2020

This is bullshit. A sixteen year old corporal's guard faced with a radar return and no commo to confirm orders might do anything. And putting them in that situation is the direct result of the US assasination action that activated their incompetent air defence system.
    "Thousands of Iranian protesters hit streets condemning leaders over downed plane "
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/12/middleeast/iran-protests-ukraine-plane-uk-ambassador-intl-gbr/index.html
    Posted By: AngusThis is bullshit. A sixteen year old corporal's guard faced with a radar return and no commo to confirm orders might do anything. And putting them in that situation is the direct result of the US assasination action that activated their incompetent air defence system.

This.
    At least Trump finally raised a crowd bigger than the Obama inauguration. Even if it is in Iran.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCToMDEaefo

ETA Caution: Anti-American humour!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

Plane dumps fuel near schools as it returns to LAX after declaring emergency, officials say

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-jet-fuel-dumps-schools-near-lax-los-angeles-airport-live-stream-updates-2020-01-14/
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

So everything people said about chemtrails is true.