Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2020

Nostalgic to see. I haven't been taught that since high school.
    It was more detailed than any other lesson I've had, and also included a couple of tips and tricks that I did not know about. His way of deburring is neat.
    (I find purple easier to see than black, when colouring a bevel to see where material is being taken off.)

I just wish it didn't take hundreds of dollars worth of kit to do it properly. I noticed that he has a chisel and iron sharpening jig, same kind I have, but doing it by hand his way is much faster.

Good grief, when he finally finished and planed off that "half-a-thou" chip that was so thin and even you could almost see through it, I nearly cried.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2020 edited

Posted By: Angussince high school

Lucky you. For some reason they wouldn't let me take shop classes and forced me into advanced placement math and chemistry and other useless crap like that instead. I haven't had to solve a differential equation in many years, but I sure would like to be able to cut a decent dovetail joint by hand.

(every once in a while I'll steam-distill off a batch of Absinthe, so chem lab helped after all...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Funny how that works out. I'm ultra crude in the shop. A hammer is about my most subtle tool. I spend much of my time these days thinking about optimisation algorithms and suchlike abstractions. My old shop teachers would probably nod sagely and agree it's for the best.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Sure, nice if you have a lot of diamond stones. Personally, I prefer Scary Sharp.
    • CommentAuthortinker

And I have a Black Arkensaw stone, that I love beyond diamond.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Do you perhaps mean "Arkansas Stone"?
    I've got a couple of those myself but big ones are expensive too. Mine are small and it's hard to sharpen a regular plane iron on them. Knives and small chisels, OK, but big stuff is hard on a small stone. I've never been able to afford a big diamond "stone" like those 8" x 3" monsters.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2020

Hence, Scary Sharp. I like the simplicity of it.
    A rainy day is coming and I'll be sharpening everything with an edge. I'll try Scary Sharp then.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2020

Hmmm, I was waiting for that rainy day about 5 years ago... I hate sharpening things. After 30 years of using the same chef's knife and steeling it after only a few cuts, I broke down and purchased a forged Damascus steel one. Shiny, pretty and very sharp. My hope is that it will hold an edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2021

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/threat-air-traffic-control-iranian-general-qassem-soleimani-revenge/

Multiple air traffic controllers in New York heard a chilling threat Monday in audio obtained exclusively by CBS News: "We are flying a plane into the Capitol on Wednesday. Soleimani will be avenged."
    Since it is not always true that barking dogs don't bite... in this case I think extreme protective measures are in order.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2021

Almost got a 'full angrus'
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2021

It's a tragedy, but ever since Trump's statement about the press ignoring airliners full of people crashing in order to emphasize CoVid deaths, I can't help but think of the 4100 or 4200 people in the USA who died yesterday, today, tomorrow.... who mostly were just sitting there when they got sick... and now the press is ignoring them, to have room to report on a few dozens of deaths in an airplane crash, people who probably shouldn't have been travelling during a global pandemic and who probably shouldn't have taken off into a tropical thunderstorm in the first place...
    aw fuck. It's hard to be a self-respecting secular humanist when the world is going to shit all around one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2021

It's always hard. Harder now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2021

The Air Force’s Crazy 747 Aircraft Carrier Concept - YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drnxZlS9gyw
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2021

Tesla Is Testing Her Secret Plan to Overtake All Airlines - YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-YJdKB0YI