Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

False flag operation by the Ba'hai wing of the Illuminati in order to implicate the Kurds
    A pilot lost control of a passenger plane after his artificial arm became detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.

The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014 edited

Douglas Bader would not be amused.

ETA. Not available on YouTube or Netflix as far as I can tell, but "Reach for the Sky(1956)" is on iTunes, rent for $3.99 CDN. I think that's what I'll do tonight.
    Posted By: alsetalokinA pilot lost control of a passenger plane after hisartificial armbecame detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.
    The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.

I'm sorry, but that's the fucking funniest thing I've read all week! LOLLOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014

• CommentAuthorLakes

Posted By: alsetalokinA pilot lost control of a passenger plane after hisartificial armbecame detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.

Always check your attachments before coming into land. :)
    Just use the common checklist mnemonic: WUFAFL. (Woof-awful).

Wind direction and speed, check.
    Undercarriage down and locked, check.
    Flaps set for approach, check.
    Arms firmly attached, check.
    Fuel selector on fullest tank, check.
    Landing clearance received, check.
    Aha! - a classic mistake. You forgot

Legs firmly attached, check.
    • CommentAuthortinker

I met Douglas Bader when I was about 10 years old. I found him terrifying. As did the Germans
    Can you say a bit more? That was both interesting and tantalising
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And the Canadians in 242 Sqn.

Yes - more.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAha! - a classic mistake. You forgot

Legs firmly attached, check.

Ah, yes, that makes it WUFLAFL. Not to be confused with Luftwaffe, or ROFL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

My uncle served with him during the war and thought he was a nasty arrogant bastard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Successful people generally are. Rule of thumb for Nobel Prizewinners: count the trail of devastated people behind them.
    • CommentAuthortinker

We were holidaying at Bridport, Dorset in the early 50's. DB landed unnannounced in the field we were camping in, having made several low passes to stampede the owners cattle out of the way. A powder blue twin-engine plane, possibly a Miles Magister.

He shouted at the farmer for objecting to his landing without so much as a by-your-leave, shouted at me to stand guard over his aircraft to stop the cows eating it, and stomped off to the harbour where someone picked him up in a speedboat. (I was told) . Came back by the same route before dark, gave me 10/- (80 USc - equivalent to 4 weeks pocket money at the time) - fired up the Magister and vanished into thedusk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014 edited

How do you figure 10 shillings was 80c US? A pound at the time was something like $3.00, so more like $1.50. And that was when $1.50 was worth about $30.00.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

BBC

More on the earlier story.

How do amputees fly planes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28785171
    They use Snap-Ons.
    http://www.snapon.com/
    The plane which can feel its damage:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28881748
    I can feel it, Dave