Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: goatcheezMystery Aircraft over the City of Roseshttp://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16079/airliners-and-f-15s-involved-in-bizzare-encounter-with-mystery-aircraft-over-oregon

Hmm, interesting.

Some pretty pix of the F-15C there. Why is it that the most powerful weapons are sometimes also the most beautiful?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2017 edited

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: goatcheezMystery Aircraft over the City of Roseshttp://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16079/airliners-and-f-15s-involved-in-bizzare-encounter-with-mystery-aircraft-over-oregon

Hmm, interesting.

Some pretty pix of the F-15C there. Why is it that the most powerful weapons are sometimes also the most beautiful?

Sort of apropos.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2017

Posted By: alsetalokinSome pretty pix of the F-15C there. Why is it that the most powerful weapons are sometimes also the most beautiful?

Form follows function? And for all the money they spend, the contractors get some talent with aesthetic concerns. Good for morale and confidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2017

Too bad it's too late to ask Leonard Cohen.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017 edited

There's a new aviation song -- it's called "Penises in the Sky" sung to the tune of "Spirit in the Sky."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/11/17/pentagons-latest-waste-taxpayer-money-us-navy-pilots-draw-huge-penis-sky

Good to know our expensive fighters are flown by sober minded, serious and mature individuals.

Reminds me of a (much worse) story a friend told me of an event at Ft. Rucker, the Army Aviation school. In the mid 60's, a bunch had just returned from Vietnam and was partying on the lake front with their families. Some jokesters flying a pair of Hueys strafed the party with blanks, using miniguns (600 round per minute Gattling guns). I know this really happened because the guy who told me about it was there.

It won't surprise anyone that this was taken very seriously and IRRC what the guy said, the pilots were initially jailed, then court martialed and received bad conduct discharges.

ETA: I got it wrong. The minigun M134 can fire at 6 THOUSAND rounds per minute for brief bursts. And it has a characteristic sound which is terrifying to those attacked with it who know what it is.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I think it's just symptomatic of the way children are brought up nowadays. Locally, a few of our elementary schools are complaining about young (<13 yo) kids who physically abuse teachers, disrupt class and damage school property (e.g. break windows).

The blame surely rests with the parents--and their parents, most likely.

Sister Mary Kathleen is probably spinning in her grave. Her ruler has probably long turned to dust.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I think it's just symptomatic of the way some children are brought up nowadays.

TIFIFY

Posted By: AsterixThe blame surely rests with the parents--and their parents, most likely.

Sure, it is often due to permissiveness, ignoring the children, being away, and so on. Poor parenting. But one has to allow that sometimes, it's genetics. And it's also sometimes due to such things as fetal alcohol or fetal drug syndrome.

A friend of mine recently adopted a beautiful little four year old girl. But her birth mother used methamphetamine and who knows what else during her pregnancy. The child is prone to sudden episodes of acting out including beating on other children and her parents with her firsts, throwing things, and screaming loudly for a long time. The new parents have taken classes and have support groups and a therapist helping them out and for what I saw during a brief visit, they handle it pretty well... and it has improved in the year they have had her. But what will she be like as *shudder* teenager or a young adult? Who knows? There untold millions like her and worse if you include children stressed by war, refugee status and even kidnapping and then forcing them to be "soldiers" and to peform violence like African warlords and ISIS mullahs like to do.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017

Okay, I take your point about "some".

The horrible thing that the children of addicts are usually on the very bottom rung of the economic ladder. So little help is available. The modern tendency to "mainstream" children with issues doesn't help either.
    Posted By: AsterixThe horrible thing that the children of addicts are usually on the very bottom rung of the economic ladder. So little help is available.
    Oh, in that country. Yes. Thought for a moment you were talking about a developed country.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017

Posted By: maryyugoI know this really happened because the guy who told me about it was there.

You have to be very careful quoting that sort of authority.

Posted By: maryyugoSure, it is often due to permissiveness, ignoring the children, being away, and so on. Poor parenting. But one has to allow that sometimes, it's genetics. And it's also sometimes due to such things as fetal alcohol or fetal drug syndrome.

In my not-so-very-humble opinion, it is the society in which they live that dominates in forming their behaviour. The parents and teachers can do little contrary to that, and genetics, drugs, etc are minor factors. The only way the Amish can bring up Amish children is to isolate the entire community, e.g.

In effect, it is the behaviour of all of us over the last hundred years or so that has established the influences that cause our children to behave in unacceptable ways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017 edited

Posted By: AngusBoys will be boys.
    That’s funny. What’s obscene is them doing with their aircraft what they were trained to do with them and what the aircraft were designed and built to do in the first place ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017

Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42037832
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017 edited

...it wins every time because the enemy cannot see it, even if it’s right next to it, it can’t see it,’” Trump said.

Now THAT's stealth.
    There's breathtakingly stupid, and then there's Turd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017

He shouldn't believe in invisibility unless he sees it with his own eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017

It’s partially invisible. The invisible bits are theose bits on which all those billions of $s were spent ...

And, of course, its value for the money spent. That’s also invisible...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017

A little recreation, a terrain following flight at over 400 knots in one of a flight of two Typhoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT7qrYi8R_M
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017 edited

Awesome!

And for something totally different....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbB59Pu2mJU

The instrument on the right side of the panel is the variometer (aka vertical speed indicator), and full scale deflection is ten knots. When the instrument pegs, the pilots are talking about vertical speeds as indicated on their flight data computer-- sixteen point five knots up in places -- and absolutely smooth laminar airflow in the lee wave.
    Now that's free energy !

(Let's hope there aren't any Typhoons punching through the clouds!)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017

Yikes, that's 1670 feet per minute. They might achieve orbit.

BTW, is the air speed indicator mounted weird? I looks like zero is at nine oclock so maybe they mounted it differently than usual or I am seeing it wrong somehow.