Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014

tink - have you got a dossier on all of us?
    • CommentAuthortinker

Quite a few. Many old SKDB members still correspond with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Does the NSA know about this? Are you the NSA?

Anyway, who was it that drew all those great cartoons, and can we get him to do another?
    Or, I forget who, but one of us also drew a good one about the pub. What about him?

We need something to cheer us up about now.
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited

Matt Hounsom was that man. And for the record, my membership of the Nebraska Soyabean Association has lapsed.
    You don't say soybean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014

Posted By: AngusDoes the NSA know about this? Are you the NSA?

Anyway, who was it that drew all those great cartoons, and can we get him to do another?
    Or, I forget who, but one of us also drew a good one about the pub. What about him?

DerrickA drew the pub one and he's still around, just not posting much.
    Quantum mechanics (QM) and relativity are seemingly incompatible theories. One of the obstacles to unification is the fact that entanglement demonstrates space-like correlations, which are forbidden in even special relativity (SR). It is as if entanglement "steps out of spacetime" and thus avoids the speed of light restriction of spacetime and thus the relativity which describes it.

A reasonable approach, then, is to critique SR rather than QM, in not doing a good enough job of describing how events can correlate. It needs to be extended. The obvious candidate is what might be called "mirror SR", whereby a full tachyonic physics is developed for events/entities travelling at speeds greater than light, all the way up to infinity.

Clearly this cannot describe anything in spacetime as we perceive it, but could produce a theory of entanglement which was wholly relativistic in this new sense.

As far as measurements to date show, the "speed of entanglement" is bounded below at about 100,000 c and unbounded above. Therefore the postulate of an apparent infinite velocity is not contradicted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2UE7tp7oSw
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015 edited

And yet it is still impossible, or at least not demonstrated, that information can be transferred superluminally using entanglement.

Say you have two pairs of socks in a drawer. One red pair, one green pair. Without looking, I reach in and take a single sock out and place it in a sealed opaque container. Then I get on an airplane and travel to Ulan Bator or some equally remote location. I call you on the satphone and tell you that I will predict the color of the single unpaired sock in the drawer. You scoff, how could I possibly do that? Then I open my sealed container and observe (say) a red sock. Voila! I instantly know the color of the single unpaired sock in your drawer, and I communicate this to you over our lightspeed link. And I am right, every time.
    Which is not how QM works, since you've described a hidden variable universe.
    Well, there are only two people who know how QM works, after all, and both of them are either dead, or alive.
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015

My cat knows, but I'm afraid to ask.
    I probably will know. Or not.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015

Posted By: tinkerMy cat knows, but I'm afraid to ask.
    If the cat told you, he would have to kill you.
    • CommentAuthorbr
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt is as if entanglement "steps out of spacetime" and thus avoids the speed of light restriction of spacetime and thus the relativity which describes it.
    Have you been following the ER=EPR debate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ER%3DEPR

I haven't, except that whatever it is, it is fascinating.

One funny thing about wormholes is that while they 'short-circuit' space-time, they are still made out of space-time. So maybe GR and QM are not so far apart. Einstein thought a lot about this (hence the 'E's in ER=EPR), but got discounted due to instability arguments. Seems like he may be making a comeback.
    "In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."

~Nietzsche
    Posted By: brOne funny thing about wormholes is that while they 'short-circuit' space-time, they are still made out of space-time
    Maybe. But then again, spacetime itself doesn't have to be "mundane". Like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del_metric
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2015

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd yet it is still impossible, or at least not demonstrated, that information can be transferred superluminally using entanglement.

Say you have two pairs of socks in a drawer. One red pair, one green pair. Without looking, I reach in and take a single sock out and place it in a sealed opaque container. Then I get on an airplane and travel to Ulan Bator or some equally remote location. I call you on the satphone and tell you that I will predict the color of the single unpaired sock in the drawer. You scoff, how could I possibly do that? Then I open my sealed container and observe (say) a red sock. Voila! I instantly know the color of the single unpaired sock in your drawer, and I communicate this to you over our lightspeed link. And I am right, every time.

Unfortunately experiments have shown that this is not the way it works. In Ulan Bator, you may see the sock as orange, mauve or green. The sock left behind will turn out to have the corresponding colour.

The reason why entanglement cannot be used for superluminal communication is that you won't be able to tell if the colours you see at home are simply random or are correlated with your observations in Ulan Bator without sending data back from Mongolia at sublight speed.
    True dat. Or even at light speed.
    In Ulan Bator, all socks are red.
    That's because you looked.