Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Something to look forward to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3L_Kykl6w
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2021

You have to wonder whether any of that viral DNA could cause mutations by sneaking into actual genes, and whether viruses had a hand in evolution.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Like:
    Mitochondria are membrane-bound cell organelles (mitochondrion, singular) that generate most of the chemical energy needed to power the cell's biochemical reactions. Chemical energy produced by the mitochondria is stored in a small molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Mitochondria contain their own small chromosomes. Generally, mitochondria, and therefore mitochondrial DNA, are inherited only from the mother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yeah. Maybe Lynn Margolis deserves even more credit than the credit she didn't get already.
    Our genome contains 8x more viral fragments than it does genes coding for proteins.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanOur genome contains 8x more viral fragments than it does genes coding for proteins.

That's amazing. And most of the rest is noncoding or nonsense repeats. I guess that means there's a lot of room for improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2021

I like that totally unforced positivity.
    It means that chiefly we're fullashit
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanOur genome contains 8x more viral fragments than it does genes coding for proteins.

That's amazing. And most of the rest is noncoding or nonsense repeats. I guess that means there's a lot of room for improvement.

but...epigenetics
    Yes. If only we understood that bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I think of the genes as the chapter headings, not the whole book.
    Lots of room for scribbling in the margins, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But there are some proofs the margins are too small to contain.
    It's impossible to mention margins these days without some wag referencing Fermat.
    Fermat, Fermi... let's call the whole thing off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Anyway...it was a reference to GameStop. Honest...!
    The Gershwins?
    JoueFerme'?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF_uHfSoOGA
    Symmetries

We have spatial translation symmetry and spatial rotational symmetry. We also have temporal translation symmetry. These underlie all modern physics.

So what about temporal rotational symmetry?
    What does that even mean?