Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2021

Why do you care what he thinks.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

That you exist is good enough for us. If you didn’t, it wouldn’t be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That's a nice sentiment.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I hope Andrew is ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Why should I listen to what my brain thinks.
    Thanks loreman. I'm not suicidal so no cause for concern.

It occurs to me that The Many Worlds Theory must be nonsense, because there can't be room for all that stuff.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2021

Shouldn’t that be “rooms”?
    too biblical
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2021

Wasn't that "mansions"?
    There's trouble down at t'volcano. Jed Arkwright's got t'foot stuck in t'lava.
    The principle of stationary action is weird. It is taken as a given foundational principle throughout both classical and quantum physics, and yet not even a teleological story justifies its existence. It is simply "What Nature does".

Surely we can do better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2021

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanSurely we can do better.

Now THERE is a fine piece of hubris.

Ted Chiang's tale "Stories of Your Life", which was the origin of the film "Arrival", has a brilliant take on the principle of least action. I've never seen anything like it in SF. The idea was intrinsically impossible to film, which put me off the film for a while, but I came around to that too. It's just a different story.
    I suspect you conflate hubris with humble optimism.

Can you summarise Chiang's thesis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2021 edited

The story has several remarkable features. The one relating to least action concerns the linguist and the physicist who are assigned to try to figure out a way to communicate with the aliens. If you recall the film, what happened was that the aliens sprayed squiggly cirles on the window and the pair somhow deciphered them in the way you might figure out heiroglyphics.

The story is much more subtle. The decoding team have a terrible time because they can associate certain features of complex symbols with various things but these features keep appearing in other symbols in ways that don't make sense. In the end they realise that the aliens do not experience causality in the same way we do. Their consciousness is based on a direct appreciation of the principle of least action. So they perceive as simultaneous all the states between initial conditions and final conditions. Their writing therefore is not temporally linear. (Chiang is much better at explaining this in an apparently logical way.) It is one of the very few, or perhaps the only SF story I have read that actually manages to imagine a truly alien mind.

The story itself is not temporally linear - but that becomes apparent only near the end. It is beautifully done. The movie gave a hint of that aspect as a sort of flashforward/flashback sequence, but I doubt it would be comprehensible if you weren't familiar with the story.
    So a block universe in action coordinates, sort of. I think I'll get the book!
    What if there really were hidden variables for entangled states, but that these occurred at the granularity of the Planck time so that even our most accurate measurements looked as if a state, viewed in isolation, appeared random? - whereas in fact a fixed pseudorandom pattern was being displayed, opposite for each member of the entangled pair.

It seems that such a temporal substructure might elude the Bell test.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2021

What happens between time quanta stays between time quanta.
    http://hhgproject.org/entries/wowbagger.html
    Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
    Who knew our local supercluster was Hawaiian?