Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

http://www.nature.com/news/organic-synthesis-the-robo-chemist-1.15661
    "no one is smoking a pipe"
    "A synthesis machine would be transformational”
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014

Grzybowski, for one, is convinced that the synthesis machine can become a reality: “The only thing that can kill it is scepticism.”

With all due respect, this guy sounds like one of the free-energy-woo proponents. Seems that HopeGirl says pretty much the same thing about the QEG.
    With all due respect, this guy can make millions more organic compounds than can you, and faster too
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanWith all due respect, this guy can make millions more organic compounds than can you, and faster too

I do pretty well--hell, I'm shedding them as I'm typing.

Saying that skepticism can kill genuine science is bullshit--another bunch of organic compounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014

The chemical version of 3D printers. Yes it will be useful and innovative.No it will not take over all synthesis and solve all problems, just as additive fabricators won't.

Or else you will have to imagine an oil refinery that can be reconfigured in software to be a sewage treatment plant.b
    Ah the good old boring middle ground
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

It can also be shown that the velocity of an electron in orbit around an atom, is directly proportional to the atomic number of the atom. In other words, the heavier the atom, the faster its outer electrons are moving. For the element hydrogen, with atomic number 1, the electron is calculated to be moving at 1/137 the speed of light,

Isn't that a weird way of looking at it? I thought we gave up thinking of electrons literally whizzing around nuclei yonks ago.

but that 1/137 = fine structure constant is neat. I suppose there is an obvious reason I can't see.
    Wonder what happens at atomic number 138. Presumably it kicks off the tachyonic periodic table.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019

Not so much--the Pu(V) compounds may be chemically stable, but not isotopically so; i.e., they'll still kill you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019

Well we already use Uranium. Whatever it takes!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019 edited

Ideally, you;'d want to use ²⁴⁴Pu, but it's not very common. All plutonium is created/manufactured. Pu is a heavy metal and tends to not be excreted once it enters the body.

Somehow, I don't think you'd want your keel made of Pu.

Chemically, the only other chemical candidate for containing Pu has been Gadolinium zirconium oxide (Gd₂Zr₂O₇)
    By Klono's own gadolinium guts!