Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordixiepnum
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

need your considerable cognitive functions to help me figure something out.

How can we cool the earth?

The answer can't be...by not driving ICE cars anymore, by not having babies, by not burning coal.....those idiotic things will still continue and will resolve themselves one way or another

The answer needs to be...based on some chemical, physical, biological, geological, or mechanical process, by which, if $10-$100m was invested, there would be some serious cooling going on....

Meaning, for example, if we take solar-generated electricity, and do something with it, that will have a net-cooling effect on the atmosphere, what could it be?

Any bright ideas out there? (as long as I'm on the internet, I'm making the world a hotter place!)

thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014 edited

chemtrails

you're welcome

Also, a nice global thermonuclear war will work... probably better than you know or need.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

It might clear up some tedious traffic problems too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014 edited

Posted By: dixiepnumneed your considerable cognitive functions to help me figure something out.

The answer can't be...by not driving ICE cars anymore, by not having babies, by not burning coal.....those idiotic things will still continue and will resolve themselves one way or another

The answer needs to be...based on some chemical, physical, biological, geological, or mechanical process, by which, if $10-$100m was invested, there would be some serious cooling going on....

Meaning, for example, if we take solar-generated electricity, and do something with it, that will have a net-cooling effect on the atmosphere, what could it be?

Any bright ideas out there? (as long as I'm on the internet, I'm making the world a hotter place!)

thanks

add load and load of dust in the atmosphere. A nuclear war for example. Or for 100$ million send a rocket to a passing by a big asteroid, and make it plunge into the crust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

As for a more serious answer : for that price range you cannot do anything whatsoever. the only real solution to have earth cool is not only stop CO2 emission, but also remove CO2 from the atmosphere by, say , planting a lot of tree or make carbon extraction machine from the atmosphere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: dixiepnumneed your considerable cognitive functions to help me figure something out.

thanks

That's not the problem. The problem is the lack of any organization to deal with such issues at an appropriate scale. Given that someone thinks he has such a technology, what happens next? Suppose for example that the Chinese Red Army has decided that seeding the stratosphere with gossypol would take care of the problem, and decides just to go ahead. Then what?

There is urgent need to extend the existing world-scale administrative functions such as ITU, WHO, WTO... to include geopolitical issues such as terraforming. Unfortunately, as you saw in the recent discussion on world government, there is essentially zero interest in doing so. So basically, until the large powers realize they aren't so damn powerful after all, we are all screwed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

On the upside people won't look back on this age and say "how could they".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Or at all, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

I pledge to put more ice in my scotch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

How could you...when ice is falling off Greenland and Antarctica even as you drink? You should be delivering that ice directly to the arctic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

Hmmm you have a point...I'll be drinking neat from now on in the name of ice conservation.
    Solar shield. Completely reversible. International cooperation. Spendy but tasty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanCompletely reversible international cooperation.

That is indeed the problem. (I have had to take a liberty with your punctuation.)
    Leads inevitably to The Temperature Wars
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: E-ManHmmm you have a point...I'll be drinking neat from now on in the name of ice conservation.

Your scotch will thank you, but for more gratitude add just a little water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Except in Southern California, where you will have to make do with Branch Sand.
    wot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The SoCal version of branch water.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2018 edited

This TED talk is pretty cool:
    Click here to watch the video.
    (Trumpists: Don't be scared of the guy, he only looks like a rapist animal ms-13 gang member.)
    Bravo