Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014

Hello br. Good to see you here, apologies for the delay approving the application. Just say Hi and I'll finalise your membership.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Is that the real br?
    • CommentAuthorbr

Hi!

Yes, it's me :)

Long time lurker on this forum, though I was very active on the Steorn public forum, and spud forum(s). Until Sean kicked me out, anyway... So tinker and legendre and other spudders will be familiar with my background. I did experiments and theory on the magnetic contraptions, even successfully replicating the K-toy (both theoretically and experimentally!). Had lots of fun analysing effects of viscosity in rotating magnets. Not sure why I took so long to join here, for some reason the latest silliness from Rossi was a trigger. May not post quite so much here, as you guys seem to have things fairly under control, but I'll probably make a few contributions.

As you were...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: brHad lots of fun analysing effects of viscosity in rotating magnets.

Me too, but I could never quite figure out why anybody would think it was anything but a loss mechanism. I guess that was back in my innocent days when I thought Steorn were just deluded.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited

Posted By: breven successfully replicating the K-toy (both theoretically and experimentally!).
    Yah? What did you find it did? (and welcome to the trap).
    • CommentAuthortinker

Yes, welcome indeed br. And watch out, don't take a seat, the crabs in here can jump six feet.
    Are you the br from the extremetech thread? Glad to see you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Is the Skype club up and running already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

We can't tell you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Does it cost £400 to join?
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014

£419.

Welcome br
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: oak£419.

Welcome br
    That must be the going price for a bad whore in Dublin.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Hello br, welcome.
    • CommentAuthorbr
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014 edited

I guess that was back in my innocent days

Indeed, viscosity looks like purely a loss mechanism when the magnets are collinear. But the initial claim was that you could swivel them around in different planes, stopping and starting and moving them off at the right moment for the viscosity to give you a gain. Moreover, that this had been achieved. A nice puzzle, but one apparently without a solution!
    • CommentAuthorbr

Posted By: maryyugoYah? What did you find it did?

It did what you saw in the video :)

Nothing wrong with that - it required input energy to set it up before being poked with the tweezers to release it. And it could raise weights, but then so could a SMOT.
    Isn't the trick to draw a conceptual box around the whole shooting match and talk about divergences?
    • CommentAuthorbr

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAre you the br from the extremetech thread? Glad to see you!

Yes, that's me. If ever I get time to tie up some loose ends in the analysis, I'll post it. I'm also amazed at how these measurements seem never to be done properly...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: br
    Posted By: maryyugoYah? What did you find it did?

It did what you saw in the video :)

Nothing wrong with that - it required input energy to set it up before being poked with the tweezers to release it. And it could raise weights, but then so could a SMOT.
    Ah yes. A free energy engine, powered by Mr. Hand.
    • CommentAuthorbr

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIsn't the trick to draw a conceptual box around the whole shooting match and talk about divergences?

I presume you mean draw a box around the magnetic system, and calculate either the Maxwell Stress Tensor or integrate the Poynting vectors? That is complicated so needs to be done computationally, with meshes and finite element stuff. You may be surprised to find that it is quite easy to calculate a gain in energy this way!

Though I suppose I shouldn't tease - calculated energy imbalances happen very easily in finite element analysis. It can depend on the mesh size, time step, device orientation (if you rotate the apparatus to a different angle in the simulation, you can get different results), angle step for how you move the rotor. I calculated many gains in energy using Comsol this way...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You can get a Poynting vector from waving a permanent magnet around?