Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014

Posted By: tinkerAnd possiblly gives motion control via motor-speed - using Quadcopter control systems.
    I think I saw somewhere a prototype version with motion control, looked like a roomba.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014

Posted By: AngusHave you ever seen a hovercraft trying to maneuver with no steerage way?
    Strong preference to down-the-hill or, in the absence of a hill, with-the-wind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014

Posted By: korkskrew
    Posted By: AngusHave you ever seen a hovercraft trying to maneuver with no steerage way?
    Strong preference to down-the-hill or, in the absence of a hill, with-the-wind.

Yep.
    My best hovercraft story:
    In the mid sixties I was in Fort Churchill doing auroral research. It's pretty far north in Manitoba, above the tree line. The British Army brought over a hovercraft for arctic trials that winter. One day the crew came back to the mess laughing like hell, one of the guys being rather wet, cold, and smelly. It seems that they were poking along over the snow in an empty field when the thing just stopped. They couldn't get it to move at all. Finally one fellow jumped off to see what might be hanging it up. He disappeared through a hole in the snow and then there was a whole lot of splashing and floundering and stench before they could fish him out and get him back aboard.

What had happened is that they went over a drainage ditch that had been covered by a snow bridge so you couldn't see it. The snow sank down a bit and the front and back of the thing got hung up on the ground There wasn't enough solid surface underneath for the air cushion effect to work and they couldn't get it to lift off. We had to tow it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014 edited

Posted By: tinkerAnd possiblly gives motion control via motor-speed - using Quadcopter control systems.

This has been bugging me and I finally figured out why. I think the repulsion would have only a weak component parallel to the conducting surface. So if you tilt the board you wouldn't get the sideways thrust that you do with a quadcopter. Most of the control you have with a 'copter is the sideways component of lift if you tilt the rotor plane. All that you would be left with is differential torque for yaw control.

I think.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Isn't repulsion orthagonal to the field lines?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not unless you mean orthogonal. And where are the field lines from the fields of the induced currents in the flat plate?
    • CommentAuthortinker

In between the iron filings.
    I have mercury fillings.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: magic momentI have mercury fillings.
    That explains things a bit.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014

It's an amalgam of things.
    Poor Celine; uprooted at a young age and sold into orthodonty
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014

But rescued by a faithful retainer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015

For totally immoral purposes.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015

Probably practices transcendental medication.