Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009 edited

To run down a D cell in 16 hours instead of the eight weeks or whatever we worked out it should be able to run for yesterday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

Posted By: GrowlerTo run down a D cell in 16 hours instead of the eight weeks or whatever we worked out it should be able to run for yesterday?

Ah, that's the out Sean will use. Someone accidentally set them up running backwards, that's why the batteries kept discharging. But that will all be sorted before next fall.

(slightly more believable than the bearing excuse last demo)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: GrowlerTo run down a D cell in 16 hours instead of the eight weeks or whatever we worked out it should be able to run for yesterday?

for day before yesterday or day before demo...or....
    ~40,000 joules in 16 hours is 0.7 Watts ish I think
    After showing the typical rundown time of the battery, they show its immense runtime with their ‘magic’ component.

They do appear to be making a meal out of husbanding their little charges. It is almost like theatre.

There are two empty magic circuit board spaces in the battery tray.
    I think Clanzer has lost it. He is making out the fact that the thing runs on a battery a major breakthrough:

WoW 168 hours running off a single 10000 mAh battery, must be an efficent motor that pulls no current at all :)
    Posted By: Knuckles OTooleI think Clanzer has lost it. He is making out the fact that the thing runs on abattery a major breakthrough:

WoW 168 hours running off a single 10000 mAh battery, must be an efficent motor that pulls no current at all :)
    I thought it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.
    Posted By: evolvealreadyI thought it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

I don't think so. He added in response to eric.rost:

You have 8 coils being energised in that design with no fancy electronics controlling the pulse width by the looks of it. Wonder how they have got those to 8 coils too pull such a small current?

Then they add extra drag by placing coils around the top also.

Like I said WoW , that is clever stuff.
    mrsean2k wants to know if there are any electrical engineers in the house to demonstrate why a D battery can run a DC motor for more than a few hours. No, mrsean2k, they've all been banned, you eejit.
    What a 'tard. He should make his way back over here if he wants the tech discussion.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: hairykrishnaWhat a 'tard. He should make his way back over here if he wants the tech discussion.

Yeah, but we bullied him and I got into trouble with teacher for making him run off in tears.
    I think CLaNZeR's forte must not be in electronics, in spite of my strong respect for his mechanical skills and general abilities.
    Sean, in the devices we are being shown, they don't seem to run for nearly that long, and there are obvious concealed components in the display base that aren't on the drawings and explanations we have seen. Not only that, but several times we have observed the device slowing down nearly to a stop, and being replaced by freshly-spinning ones. No measurements of any electrical parameters have been shown to us. So if any attempt is being made to convince any skeptics that what they have is real, we are missing it. Except of course for the attempts in the "Sean Said" category, which might now have to include 2 Seans.
    Posted By: firstmanonthesunmrsean2k wants to know if there are any electrical engineers in the house to demonstrate why a D battery can run a DC motor for more than a few hours. No, mrsean2k, they've all been banned, you eejit.

Are you serious? We have estimated up to several weeks for an efficient pulse motor running on a single D-cell.
    If mr2sneaky wants to prove that it can't, I suggest he build something with his own two paws for a change.
    Someone called waynegage is now taking up the battle. Anyone care to admit to being said Mr Gage?
    Waynetta posts here