Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015

Can the moletrappers explain Twitter to me? When it was established a few years back I got an account to play with, but I could never find any use for it. Now it seems to be used primarily by supermarket-tabloid celebrities and politicians. The one has nothing to say and the other is attempting to say nothing. The restriction to 140 characters probably helps with this, but further restriction might help more. I even have a suggestion...

I hear Twitter doesn't make money. It doesn't seem to be a useful communications service. So, to quote Isidor Rabi: "Who ordered that?"
    I sort of get it, not that I'd actually use it ever. It's a headline service, where one may post life updates to a huge audience. "I fell down hurt me bum" sort of stuff, when there isn't anyone close by in "meatspace" even to pretend they really care.

It's just another way to try to stave off the existential loneliness of existence. Without the terseness and creativity of the seven word chirp.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

\\o< I fell down and hurt me bum.
    When I lost the use of my arms I felt as if I was going through a bad patch
    • CommentAuthorLakes

In MeatSpace, no one can hear you Chop Chop Chop.
    The fourth one is the hardest
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015 edited

The Silence of the (Lamb) Chops.
    Everything has been said.
    I have nothing to say anymore.
    So I think 140 characters are a good compromise.

(I have been on twitter for six years now and still love to say nothing frequently)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinI sort of get it, not that I'd actually use it ever. It's a headline service, where one may post life updates to a huge audience. "I fell down hurt me bum" sort of stuff, when there isn't anyone close by in "meatspace" even to pretend they really care.

It's just another way to try to stave off the existential loneliness of existence. Without the terseness and creativity of the seven word chirp.

\\o< Could we sell them terseness and creativity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: bloodymediaEverything has been said.
    I have nothing to say anymore.
    So I think 140 characters are a good compromise.

How do you figure 140 characters is a good compromise between a transmission requirement of nothing and a reception requirement of nothing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe fourth one is the hardest

\\o< One short of a chirp, is that.
    Posted By: Angus
    How do you figure 140 characters is a good compromise between a transmission requirement of nothing and a reception requirement of nothing?

Maybe it's not really a compromise but better than nothing ;)

But let me tell you how twitter helped me and why I still like it:
    When I suffered from heavy depressions some years ago it was impossible for me to talk or write to other people. I really had nothing to say but wished I could. So twitter made it much easier to keep in touch with the rest of the world because those few words you can write there usually transport a lot more thoughts than are actually written. Other people with depressions understood those messages immediately and startet conversation. That was an effective way out of isolation and anxienty at that time.

In the beginning twitter was sometimes like a support group for depressive people, but with lots of additional contacts and information (and fun). That supportive character has changed somehow over the years. But it's still a nice tool to create you own filter bubble, to get information that is useful for you and to keep loosely in contact with others.

Furthermore, it's great for puns, short and intelligent jokes and sharing links.

But I guess it's not for everyone. And today it is much harder to get followers than it was some years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That sounds useful.
    Moletrap seems to be exactly the same thing, though.
    Maybe pcstru should restrict us to chirps and sell ads? Moletrap could be a billion dollar money-losing company in no time.
    Yes, moletrap is a little bit like twitter, but with more intelligent people and it's not that easy to ignore them.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

A friend of mine uses it to market a book prerelease and presumably afterwards also. It's just another networking tool for this, along with Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and some others which slipped from my mind at the moment.

Certainly celebrities (whatever that actually is) use it to keep in touch with fans. It's used as a headline service, as I think someone else said.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe fourth one is the hardest

\\o< One short of a chirp, is that.
    Chirpy Chripy, Chop Chop - down on the farm. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

Sick of Twitter’s 140-character limit? These guys gave themselves 30,000!

The trick they used has now been blocked by Twitter, but as far as we can see, it was absurdly simple.

In the early days of Twitter, putting a clickable link into a tweet cost you the full length of the URL, so that a URL like https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/ used to take up a full 33 characters.

Nowadays, however, URLs are converted automatically by Twitter into a shortened form, such as https://t.co/t3gWnOLePX. (Twitter owns the t.co domain for exactly this purpose.)

The fixed-length code at the end of the new shortened URL (above, that’s the text t3gWnOLePX automatically redirects visitors to the original URL you typed in.

Your tweet is only “billed” for the length of the shortlink, even if your original URL was much longer.

So the German pranksters used a very, very long URL indeed – one that didn’t and couldn’t exist, not least because domain names can never be longer than 64 characters:

Despite the unusability and illegality of the enormously long URL in the submitted tweet, it seems that Twitter not only shortened it and accepted it, but also faithfully reconstructed and printed it out whenever the tweet was displayed.

The pranksters didn’t try to embed any sort of legible message in their uebertweet – it looks as though they just hammered down on the keyboard (or used a random keypress generator), but they did manage a length of more than 30,000 characters.

As you can imagine, a tweet of that length played visual havoc with users who tried to look at it, so Twitter wasn’t pleased at all, and kicked the German pair off Twitter for violating the site’s terms of service.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

Good NEWS!

Twitter says now we can all use 280 characters
    After a trial run, Twitter is officially doubling its signature 140-character limit.

https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-280-character-tweets-donald-trump/
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2017 edited

Infamous alt-right grumpy old man hidden inside of a hip looking young gay celebrity Milo had a $250.000 book contract with Simon and Schuster. They gave the draft to an in-house editor to review it. He found it stupid, nonsensical, inappropiate, racist, sexist and homophobic. And he is not putting his liberal opinions on it: he has reviewed manuscripts by Cheney, Trump and Limbaugh. Simon and Schuster cancelled the contract, Milo sued. The manuscript is now part of the trial and accesible online. The notes by the editor are obviously part of the company's position and they are a worthy read.

Here's a twitter thread with some highlights.

Here's the full manuscript in case you dare to dig deeper.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.