Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I want to "seal up" a backup ham radio station in a box that can withstand what I have been told is an EMP with a field strength of 200,000 volts per meter maximum. Being able to operate such a station and still maintain its integrity I realize would be difficult. I have long known about the potential effects of such an event but never worried much about it until a few weeks ago when I learned that one country will soon have the resources to buy technology from some other countries that we know have such but wouldn't be silly enough to ever employ it. If you suspect that what I am doing is only the start of such an effort you will not get an argument from me! For example, beside my garage is a metal box containing an emergency power source. If my commercial electric power is interrupted this "box" will automatically power 15 Kw. of what we think of as "necessary." And when I asked the manufacturer of this "box" if he had any suggestions on what to do I was told, "No, we haven't looked into that yet."

My question to you good folks is this: I realize that I have to handle both elements of the electromagnetic field with different metals. I am not sure just how thick these metals (usually steel and copper) should be. When I went on line to see if any information was available (there is not shortage but I fear most are just "opinions.") I saw much that I knew could not possibly be correct. If I can't find someone who will advise me I will use 11 ga. steel and 18 ga. copper.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Lee A. Mushel (the vinegarlee comes from the fact that we live on a ridge that the USGS calls "vinegar ridge."
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015

Ridge seems a nice handle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015 edited

"When they first set foot on the land, the name was a quirky and amusing distraction. But in only a few weeks' time, the young couple began to sour on it."

-- Memories of Vinegar Ridge
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It's a silly question, really, but I have to ask. Presuming that this EMP will occur at an unknown time, how will you know when to disconnect the external antennas from the stuff inside the shielding? Or is this intended to be a radio for use only after the EMP has occurred?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Will the pulse originate from truck or satellite?
    Have you considered going to the source and exterminating those responsible for this foul pulse?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Beware if it is North Korea, he might be the one exterminated.

They have very hungry dogs.
    They have few dogs, due to the large number of very hungry people
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

And no kangaroos, the swine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Empocalypse SOON ...
    +3
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Is the sun overdue for one again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Let's hear firsthand news from St.Anthony:
    Algore Latolskin, please report.
    Somebody probably was ordered to find the most mission-critical facility at JBL and do an EMP survey of it, to placate the orange you-know-which-twat. So they picked the gas pumps and tank farm that exist to service the National Guard wing and the occasional heavy transport being repaired at the former Kelly AFB.

Lackland AFB, where the USAF carries out all of its basic training and a lot of technical schooling, as well as dog training, doesn't even have a runway. Don't need one since huge Kelly AFB is right next door. Now they have decomissioned a lot of KAFB and combined what's left with LAFB into something called "Joint Base Lackland".

If someone decides to EMP South Texas, there is a lot more stuff that would be vulnerable and critical than just the fuel farm at JBL. If all the fillings suddenly fall out of my teeth.... well, I won't be able to let you know because the internet will be gone.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2021 edited

Nuclear ordinance used to be stored and maintained at Kelly (at least in the 1970s) in a facility known as NOLS. Where did that stuff move to?

Used to be home to a small CDC CYBER 74 mainframe. SAALC had the big installation
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

'It is what it is.'
    --(better not)
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2021 edited

Posted By: AsterixNuclear ordinance used to be stored and maintained at Kelly (at least in the 1970s) in a facility known as NOLS. Where did that stuff move to?

Used to be home to a small CDC CYBER 74 mainframe.SAALC had the big installation

That complex is pretty much the whole southwest corner of San Antonio, including Kelly, Lackland, Medina Base, Wilford Hall hospital, the Air National Guard, the Air Force Security Service, the dog training school, etc. The nuclear material was at Medina Base for a while, I think.

Just a few years ago the NSA opened up a big spook center on the northside of SA.

That XC-99 in the WIKI article was on display, parked next to a runway at Kelly, for a long time. I remember that it used to be open to the public and as a teenager I crawled around in it a few times. Long gone now.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

SAALaCious!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

My involvement was in the computerized logistics management end. I got shuffled around to most of the ALCs (used to be AMAs); Kelly and Ogden were the nicest---Warner-Robbins was a hellhole as far as I was concerned. Oklahoma City wasn't much better.