Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015

Incompetence. Looks more like a fuck-up than something more sinister to me.
    The only suspicious item is the competence of the dweeb who did this, and the system designers who allowed him to.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015

I have Win7 set to ask me which updates to install, and have no reason to install a language pack which are usually under the optional downloads section.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited

I am restoring the OS to a Thinkpad T430 using a validated copy of a factory disk set. It is taking forever. The boot disk was pretty fast but I am on the first data disk now for going on 30 minutes. It is not hung, I can see some movement but there are 4 data DVD's. That sure seems excessive. I wonder why so much shit, how much is bloatware and crapware and why loading the DVD is so slow. Anybody else restore a recent model Stinkpad from factory DVD's? Maybe the DVD's used for the copy are old and therefore slow?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited

Why not use a generic Windows install'?

ETA: Or Linux?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

Posted By: aber0derWhy not use a generic Windows install'?

ETA: Or Linux?
    IMHO, bad idea on a Thinkpad. They have all sorts of unique utilities and status monitoring. And while you can add those cattywhumpus afterwards from downloads, a typical Thinkpad will have dozens of available downloads depending on the specific assembly number and good luck getting it correct. Some things they come with, I delete such as sample programs, some sort of expensive and shitty antivirus and the ever annoying "Thinkpad access connections." But many things, for example the HD "rollcage" software (if you have a mechanical drive) and the various diagnostics and autoupdate options are worthwhile. Also, this TP is still in warranty and I think the company would take a dim view of having to work remotely with a generic OS.

Linux: sorry, we've been all over that before. I do have an HD for a T60 with Linux and I've never used it. Yet. I keep planning to but it never really comes up.

Anyway-- status now is:

35 minutes into disk #2, it's progressing and shows about half done but the overall progress bar reset itself to zero and is blank. Somebody did not do a class job on the software.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

Your Thinkpad has become self-aware and passed the Turing test by demonstrating its sustained and ongoing resistance to having you as its user ...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited

Posted By: DuracellYour Thinkpad has become self-aware and passed the Turing test by demonstrating its sustained and ongoing resistance to having you as its user ...
    Now THAT, I believe. But it is continuing its glacial progress... on the last DVD (4 well 5 if you count the boot disk) and almost done after about 4 hours... and then, interminable updates from MS, many of which require user interaction. Oh well... I get to do chores between steps.

OK, all done. Antivirus and Malwarebytes are installed. Restart, desktop to desktop, takes less than 25 seconds. System has an i5/3320M, 4GB, Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD.

One slightly offputting issue when first rebooted was a blue screen which I traced to the wrong BIOS setup for SATA. Changed compatibility mode to AHCI and everything worked fine. This is (sort of) documented in Thinkpad forums.

Now for the interminable updates and then somewhat interminable software installs. I can see why people prefer to buy tablets except of course, I hate / DESPISE touch screens, can't stand systems without a mouse and keyboard, and want to use my 28" HP display. Oh well... end of rant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

You killed it. :..( ...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: DuracellYou killed it. :..( ...
    No. I tried but it refused to die.

So I did some updates to system software using the Lenovo utility and one item, a display driver, hung. Know why? It was searching Windows' data base for the latest driver and that took FOREVER. It's sort of like waiting around for Sean to keep a promise. I will probably download the drivers from the OEM and load them meinselph.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

ROTFWL... system ran some 200+ updates overnight and then "windows encountered an unknown error" and "failure configuring windows, reverting changes, etc."

Apparently there exists an official fix involving a fixer program from MS. Will have to wait. I guess the fixer sits next to the wizard and they both are there to torment users. Good going Microshaft. At least you're consistent!

Remember, the original OS load was an official, Lenovo restore set. For this specific laptop. I know... blah blah blah Linux! Noes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

There are some virtues to virtualisation ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

I suspect hardware failure. Hard disc, RAM, CPU or motherboard etc. No way your restore should have taken so long. Have you ran full diagnostics? Do you have any replacement parts you could swap in to test?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

I've had some issues with Win 10 kind of like this. It seems when the OS gets upset, it takes a very long time to sort it out. Once sorted though, it runs like a top (for me).

One thing I used to do freely was power down without shutting down. Win 10 spanked me hard for doing this the first couple times (sometimes requiring several looooong reboots), so I don't do that anymore.
    Glad you know who's boss.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

I submitted to MS many many, years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015 edited

Posted By: DuracellI suspect hardware failure. Hard disc, RAM, CPU or motherboard etc. No way your restore should have taken so long. Have you ran full diagnostics? Do you have any replacement parts you could swap in to test?
    Good idea. Thinkpads have extensive diagnostics. I'll run them next. However, everything seems to run fine except Windows updates which made me suspect the OS. We'll see. I don't have extra RAM for the T340 but I have another hard drive for it which came with vanilla Win7. I can see if that updates. Another day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

It's definitely worth running the diagnostics, however I have occasionally encountered faulty batches of RAM that would happily sail through all the diagnostics and pass them all with flying colours, only to continue causing perplexing and unpredictable BSODs and exception errors afterwards. Of course all of these problems would then instantly go away as soon as I would swap out the RAM.

Also, hardware problems are often intermittent rather than constant and easily reproducible, so I would recommend running through many iterations of the diagnostics, for example, looping them to run continuously overnight if possible.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

5 DVDs, incredible!, a 20Gb reinstall is crazy.
    Once you get it all working make a backup image of the drive, yes, it's gonna be large, so write it to an external HD.