Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019

Well, I don't use laptops, so I can't comment on the difficulties. I mean, where do you plug in the SCSI ultra-wide controller?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

ST! That takes me back a bit!
    Posted By: AsterixWell, I don't use laptops, so I can't comment on the difficulties. I mean, where do you plug in the SCSI ultra-wide controller?

Into the USB port of course. But you need the right adapter. And don't expect the speed you expect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019 edited

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019 edited

Posted By: goatcheez

That's a narrow SCSI (8 bit) adapter. I said ultra-wide SCSI

Differential (LVD) is even better. That MDS is a late model. I used an MDS-800 and an Intellec-8:

My first personal computer was a MITS Altair:

Still have it.
    My first computer was a plastic thing that I talked my parents into ordering from the back of PopTronics or one of those great old mags. Now I realize it was a sort of differential engine. It was programmed with little pieces of plastic drinking straw that you put over nubs in sliding and fixed layers of plastic frameworks, and a "clock cycle" consisted of pulling and pushing one of the sliding frames. It could add and multiply and maybe there was even a sort of game that could be played on it. I think it finally got stepped on and tossed in the trash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

My first computer was analogue.
    Same here. Mine was a Castell.
    I didn't get one of _those_ until I was a junior in high school. And by then "slip stick" had a different meaning altogether, thanks to .... oh never mind.

My _next_ computer was an IBM 360-44. Well, not exactly mine, but I got to use it a lot. Well, not a lot, but over and over and over...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: AngusMy first computer was analogue.

I knew a wealthy guy who owned a Curta, but I had a Post Versalog. (I learned to never use cornstarch to lubricate it--gums the works up). When bamboo was king.

Oddly, Post didn't make their own high-end slide rules--they were made by a Japanese company, Hemmi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

Log-log scales, decitrig.
    I had it all and I even knew how to use it all.
    Paper tables of logarithms and trig values in the backs of textbooks were very useful. I wonder what they are teaching in high school math classes these days.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Ah, it wasn't just the slipstick that marked you. The T-square, along with the drafting/draughting kit also said a lot.

God, I so hated mechanical drawing! I still block print to this very day, but for my unintelligible script signature.
    I loved it. In fact yesterday I was using my old RotRing dividers for something or other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I still have my copy of Bruhn's seven-figure log tables. Somewhere.
    With the little typewritten slip noting errors in the tables.