Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I use FireFox most of the time when browsing the internest. But I have noticed, over the past year or so, that it crashes fairly regularly. And it crashes more and more with the more recent updates, until lately it is crashing at least once a day. There is a "Crash Reporter" that comes up when it does crash, and this is supposed to send information to Mozilla so that the application can be improved. Lately I've been putting irate comments in the Report, since I'm getting increasingly frustrated by this CrashFox FireCrash behaviour. (No other application I run, including several other Browsers, crashes.)

So today I see, in the Update Notifier, that CrashFox wants to install a new version. What does the Change Log say about the "improvements" in this new version of FireCrash?

Version 41.0.1+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1:

* New upstream stable release (FIREFOX_41_0_1_BUILD2)
    - see USN-2743-4 and LP: #1501277

* Disable the crash reporter as symbol uploads are currently broken. This
    means that Apport will be catching crashes for now

And that appears to be the only change in the "update".

You can't even make this kind of stuff up. It's beyond all belief. Insert Homer Simpson facepalm here.

(Apport is the Linux application that watches for program crashes.)

Of course I am not going to allow this "update" until after it crashes AGAIN and I have a chance to put my ire into words in the existing Crash Reporter... for all the good that will do.
    You go boy. It's fairly stable w/XP at present. But I am considering Chrome, because of the reported poor handling by FF of HTML5 on YouTube
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015

Yay Safari!
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanthe reported poor handling by FF of HTML5 on YouTube

That's right, it totally sux so much as to be incapable.

Fortunately there is an addon for FF that allows you to select the Flash player for videos instead of HTML5.
    http://barisderin.com/?p=2225
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I'm calling kluge at that point.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I will admit that the FF HTML5 player sucks CPU cycles like there's no tomorrow. But I haven't had a (Linux) FF crash in quite some time. Apparently, a "Refresh Firefox" can help.

Lately, I've been using Midori. A bit more lightweight than FF or Chrome.
    •  
      CommentAuthormagic moment
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

I use Ubuntu Linux. This is supported by a company called Continental. I only use apps from the Ubuntu s/w store. Their version of Firefox is updated by Continental and has never crashed.
    AAMoF I have never experienced a s/w crash from any of the apps I d/l from the Ubuntu s/w store. And they automatically update all their apps and OS. Admittedly, there are several updates every time I logon.

It's like Microsoft only competent.
    BTW, they have a replication of Chrome. Only they call it Chromium. Both browsers will run on Ubuntu (14.02 LTS) but Google's version eats the hell out of memory.
    Posted By: magic momentI use Ubuntu Linux. This is supported by a company called Continental. I only use apps from the Ubuntu s/w store. Their version of Firefox is updated by Continental and has never crashed.
    AAMoF I have never experienced a s/w crash from any of the apps I d/l from the Ubuntu s/w store. And they automatically update all their apps and OS. Admittedly, there are several updates every time I logon.

It's like Microsoft only competent.

Canonical, perhaps?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: magic momentI use Ubuntu Linux. This is supported by a company called Continental. I only use apps from the Ubuntu s/w store. Their version of Firefox is updated by Continental and has never crashed.

Continental? I thought the Ubuntu flavor of Linux was controlled by Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical Ltd. Utlimately, it's a bunch of patches to the Debian common kernel, some package management software and a GUI called Unity. I can't stand Unity, so I use XFCE, which is very stable and extends even to the BSD community.

But a FF crash has little to do with the operating system per se. If FF crashes on Ubuntu, chances are it'll also crash on Mint or any other comparable Linux variant.

FWIW, I try chromium a couple of times per year and end up at the end of the day, un-installing and purging it out of frustration.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Next... how to suck eggs?
    Posted By: AsterixFWIW, I try chromium a couple of times per year and end up at the end of the day, un-installing and purging it out of frustration.

I use chromium whenever FireCrash is misbehaving or won't show me a page properly. I start it from the command line.
    Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanthe reported poor handling by FF of HTML5 on YouTube

That's right, it totally sux so much as to be incapable.

Fortunately there is an addon for FF that allows you to select the Flash player for videos instead of HTML5.
    http://barisderin.com/?p=2225
    Big thank you, mate. My lappie is on her last legs and the CPU cycle-suck causes her to overheat and shut down. Now I can use YouTube until my new one arrives.

But installing that plugin has removed the mouse cursor from this posting box. Hey Ho.
    Oh, the cursor works again now. Whatever.

When I use HTML5 playback, I've noticed that the YouTube Settings menu is curiously castrated. It only offers "Auto 360p" whatever that is. With Flash, I can crank it through the usual rez choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yay Safari!
    The story is that Safari can be installed on Linux through the "playonlinux" application, which works with WINE and allows installation of Windows programs and games.

I have PlayonLinux installed but I haven't yet tried installing Safari yet. Maybe later this evening.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Opera for Linux is also pretty stable too.

Does Safari have the same selection of add-ons as FF? I hate looking at ads.

According to my browser, FF is up to 41.0.1 today on Linux.
    Posted By: AsterixOpera for Linux is also pretty stable too.

Does Safari have the same selection of add-ons as FF? I hate looking at ads.

I dunno, ask Angus...

According to my browser, FF is up to 41.0.1 today on Linux.

Yep, so you have the version with "crash reporter" disabled, probably. Which I have not yet installed, as I want one more chance to bitch at whomever might be reading the crash reports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I have ad blocker runnng. Also a java script blocker.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Yep, so you have the version with "crash reporter" disabled, probably. Which I have not yet installed, as I want one more chance to bitch at whomever might be reading the crash reports.

I have a feeling that no human ever gets to see most of those crash reports.