Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2019

I've been suffering it for a couple of hours and didn't expect it to be such a huge mess.

Why can Firefox change my installed stuff from a desktop in Palo Alto?

I hate where software as a service is heading to.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2019 edited

Posted By: thehardI've been suffering it for a couple of hours and didn't expect it to be such a huge mess.

Why can Firefox change my installed stuff from a desktop in Palo Alto?

I hate where software as a service is heading to.

They didn't change anything... they _forgot_ to update a certificate, which expired last night. And it broke everybody's addons and most themes. Your browser checks upstream for this certificate and when it is found to be expired, everything that depends on it in your browser is disabled --- for security purposes. Including your password managers.....

But to fix it for now they do need to change something. Go to your Preferences and enable "Studies". They are pushing a fix through that. You will have to reenable your Themes manually (no need to reinstall, they have just been disabled) but this automatically should restore your Add-Ons when it gets to you. Afterwards, you can disable Studies again if you like.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

What am I supposed to notice with FF--I'm using Ubuntu AMD64? I don't see anything different.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: AsterixWhat am I supposed to notice with FF--I'm using Ubuntu AMD64? I don't see anything different.

Do you have Add-Ons in your FF installation?
    (Open Menu > Add-Ons, or Ctrl-Shift-A, you should see a page with submenus for Extensions, Themes, Plugins, Languages and Get Add-ons, and on each of those pages the items you have installed should be listed.)
    If you don't have any add-ons or haven't looked at a site with, eg, ads, or perhaps have restarted your browser in the last few hours and had the fix pushed through Studies (which is enabled by default I think)...

It disabled my Theme (the look and feel of the application) and my Add-ons of which the most important is UBlock Origin. I don't use Tampermonkey much any more (for running inline scripts to, eg, display YT player when links are embedded in comments). But the ad blocker is absolutely necessary. I really feel sorry for those people who had real work to do but had all their net passwords in some password manager add-on and can't remember which Post-it Note goes with which bank account or work-from-home job. I even read one comment from some security freak who used a random password generator which changed passwords every login, so he is totally forked until the fix comes to him. And people uninstall, reinstall, wipe disks, upgrade os... until they finally find the various threads talking about the problem... none of that stuff works to fix it.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Ah, I see it now. No big deal.

I enabled "studies" so we'll see what happens. I am a bit miffed that this was allowed to happen.
    Scroll all the way down to the section called
    Firefox Data Collection and Use
    and check the "allow" box
    Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla
    and under that is another line with a box to check to enable studies
    Posted By: AsterixAh, I see it now. No big deal.

I enabled "studies" so we'll see what happens. I am a bit miffed that this was allowed to happen.

Well if you don't have addons or themes it doesn't affect you... If you didn't notice any difference why are you a bit miffed?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I wasn't miffed until the banner popped up a few sites later.

Now I'm miffed.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

My Firefox version is 10.0.2
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Updated it to 66.0.3 ... 'quantum'?

Ah, I know. "Everything is quantum"
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Okay, things are back to normal. I'm disabling "studies" now.

Remember the days when personal devices with a browser in ROM were being proposed? Power the thing on, you get nothing but a web interface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Chrome, Opera...
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2019 edited

Pale Moon. A fork of an older branch of FF with newer enhancements, for example support for graphics accelerators under Linux.
    https://www.palemoon.org/

I'm presently running PM and latest FF simultaneously to see if I can tell the difference in video. I think the current FF only supports the hardware graphics acceleration on Windows, not Linux, and PM is supposed to fix that.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2019

Mosaic?

If you've got some crufty pre-p4 gear, there's even a version of Palemoon called Newmoon SSE for the CPUs without SSE2.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019 edited

This must really be causing problems for people whose passwords are all stored in some FF addon.

Indeed. I don't trust password managers. Workaround is this: I have a password list in a passworded file but it is just text. However, it uses a simple private code that I am unlikely to forget and that a perp is probably not going to decipher.

For example I sometimes use a four digit sequence as part of a password and I write it as "PIN" and a pet's name from long ago, as PET. So one password might be "PIN+PET+*?" Of course there are more substitution words and numbers but they are very familiar to me but a stranger and probably even a family member would not get them. I hope anyway.

I know nothing is foolproof but that should slow them down. And I won't be stuck if the password manager gets scrozzled.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019

I agree with goatcheez about Opera. I even have it installed on an old XP system and it works great and the user loves it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019 edited

my password is cuntfuckwhore and it's unhackable because usa-citizens have to type beleepbleepbleep. Freedom.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

There you go. You always have a refreshing take on things :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I c*n't help myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: maryyugoI agree with goatcheez about Opera. I even have it installed on an old XP system and it works great and the user loves it.

Oh, by the way, Apple introduced a branch of iOS -- iPad OS, with mouse and keyboard support, file system access and support for external storage.

That should make you happy.