Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Can complexity have a negative value? Because progress sure can. It's then called regression.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2019

Depends how you view it ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

In technology - probably. But in science - isn't progress a wider understanding using fewer, more basic principles?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Don’t you have to analyse as much data as you can justify as necessary in order to derive basic principles?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Oh, and I forgot to add, isn’t it true that the more you know, the more you realise you don’t know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Analysing complexity to understand its underlying principles is going from complex to simple, Shirley. And the more profound the simple principles, the more complexity they can reduce. Agsin going from complex to simple.
    It certainly explains Turd
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: AngusAnalysing complexity to understand its underlying principles is going from complex to simple, Shirley. And the more profound the simple principles, the more complexity they can reduce. Agsin going from complex to simple.

But surely that assumes a finite number of simple principles. Is that how spacetime works?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2019 edited

Physicists fervently hope so.That is the core of theiŕ faith.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

So what is complexity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Different question. We're arguing about relative complexity. The absolute argument is more expensive.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I’m not arguing about relative complexity, I’m positing that “progress” is a cypher for complexity
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I think you are arguing that progress is increasing complexity. If we talk about "complexer" isn't that relarive to " less complex"?

To re-iterate my point I think that progress in science consists in simplifying things. Information entropy is negative.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

If you’re saying that building something like CERN or the Hubble telescope is simplifying “things”, I don’t agree!
    Yet many of the operating principles of those two wildly disparate science projects are identical and can be described, predicted and controlled by the use of a few "simple" mathematical relations. For certain values of "simple", some of which are truly simple by any definition, of course.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Bit of a metaphor for this Universe, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2019

Research shows the 'magic range' of twisted bilayer graphene is larger than previously expected.

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-magic-range-bilayer-graphene-larger.html
    In the present work, Codecido et al. experimentally observed an insulting phase
    How one suffers for one's science!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2019

Texas team turns graphene into bacteria-killing filter.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/laser-induced-graphene-bacteria/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2019

Graphene-based suitcase could help lighten the load.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/graphene-based-suitcase-geic/