Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015

NW

2D islands in graphene hold promise for future device fabrication.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=42184.php
    Tetrafluoro-tetracyanoquinodimethane is quite the mouthful.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Tastes awful.
    Maybe cranberry sauce helps.
    What I find somewhat extraordinary is the process whereby someone would think of putting this compound into graphene as a dopant. The number of possibilities tends to infinity.

Here's my Crimble dinner. I suspect most of you ate better but it only cost $4.
    I made a decision to ignore Christmas this year, except for kids' presents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

We are spending Christmas here this year. Very nice indeed.
    That looks splendid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Yes, their video captures it nicely ... well, except for that sacrilegious bit where they are pouring some Midleton Very Rare whiskey ( around €155 per bottle) into a glass with ice in it!
    The Philistines are at the gate!
    I've never heard of Midleton. Noted.

I enjoyed some 25 year old Glen Livet down the pub the other day. I had bumped into old friends and they insisted on buying a round. A German and his Lebanese wife, a real stunner with blond hair and blue eyes. I got to babble in Kraut after a long hiatus and found that an additional pleasure. Tilman said that my accent was beyond reproach, which topped off the whole thing for me. Good company can be hard to find.
    That's $150 here at BevMo for a 750ml bottle, or about $6/shot.
    http://www.bevmo.com/midleton-rare-irish-whiskey--750-ml-.html

Looks like we have you beaten on price. A bit odd. Tax maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015 edited

Probably tax, yes. But fluctuating currency exchange rates also can and do affect the price.

Midleton is decent whiskey, but in my opinion it is somewhat overrated and overpriced. Personally, I would rate Yellow Spot (not on that website but around €80 per bottle here) and 12 year old cask strength Redbreast higher and recommend them instead. $72.99 is a very good price for that cask strength Redbreast BTW. It normally retails for around €90 per bottle here.
    Excellent and many thanks.

One thing I do is pour into a Stuart Crystal decanter before serving. It was purchased around 1970. Then the whiskey sits there for up to a year or so. I've always been a bit worried about the lead leaching out into the whiskey. I should go look that up...
    http://scotchaddict.com/are-leaded-crystal-decanters-dangerous.html
    Well, hung jury it seems.

But my decanter is so old, I'm betting that the surface lead has all already been leached out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016

NW

Graphene can be the perfect mesh for filtering different isotopes of hydrogen.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=42234.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

WOW!! Osmotic pressure goes as the inverse of molecular weight. Think of the power you could get out of this. Provided you could produce streams of H+ and D+ without energy loss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxurt

Posted By: AngusWhy is graphene ink better than any other type of conductive ink?
    I did not read that article, but AFAIK graphene is the best known conductor, with conductivity surpassing even that of silver, that is otherwise the highest conducting metal. Apart of super-conductivity, of course. Additionally the resistance/conductivity of graphene is an order of magnitude more temperature-stable than that of most metals.

That's probably unimportant for most applications, but may be of an interest for some special cases, or it may help reducing circuit dimensions.
    Also electron mobility is high with graphene. You want that for high frequency transistors.
    Posted By: AngusWOW!! Osmotic pressure goes as the inverse of molecular weight. Think of the power you could get out of this. Provided you could produce streams of H+and D+without energy loss.
    Sarcasm or real enthusiasm? Sorry but I'm no expert here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Who knows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: xurtthe best known conductor

Yes, but in single crystal unsupported sheets. Phonon coupling from, e.g. Si substrates limits conductivity.
    Posted By: AngusWho knows?
    According to you, you do, since you've spent quite some time studying reverse osmosis, membranes, and the like. But carry on being oblique and obtuse and infernally boring if you really have to.
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: xurtthe best known conductor
    Yes, but in single crystal unsupported sheets. Phonon coupling from, e.g. Si substrates limits conductivity.
    Concur.