Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

What is the pan-Canadian consensus (if such can be said to exist) re. Obama's recent veto of the XL pipeline?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

There is no Pan-Canadian consensus. Many here opposed it as well. I opposed it, but not on the usual grounds. I want to see a diversity of markets, so I'd rather they built the pipeline out toward China rather than yet another one to the same customer.

That seems to be dead for internal reasons. Second best, which is a possibility, is to build it east to replace imported fuels in the eastern part of the country. Go for a domestic market.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

That bump must have been really bad, as I agree with Angus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: DuracellThe great Saudi sell-off: why bankers and lawyers are flocking to the Gulf

Great place to stay away from, then. As if we didn't already know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Interesting to consider how much the outcome of this sell off will affect the lives of every one of us ...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Hope most of the stuff goes to wealthy Iran-owned shell corporations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017 edited

Aren't most of the proven Saudi oil reserves in Shia territories already anyway?

Russia, China, the US and all their client states, proxies and global megacorps. The possibilities are endlessly intriguing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The problem for me is that I have absolutely no idea what the significance might be. It could be anything from a sudden reduction in the price of petrofuels as impossibly wealthy interests compete, to a sudden boost in the price of petrofuels as impossibly wealthy interests collude.
    1967 prices (USA):

Bread: $.22/loaf
    Car: $2,425
    Eggs: $1.10/doz
    Gas: $.28/gallon
    House: $24,600
    Milk: $1.03/gallon
    Stamp: $.05
    Average Yearly Income: $7,305
    Minimum Wage: $1.40/hr

Today, I noticed gasoline went up to $2.39/gal, from $2.05/gal last week. So it's still pretty cheap, all things considered.

(It's a good thing we don't run cars on milk, or orange juice.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinSo it's still pretty cheap, all things considered.

It certainly damn well is. That's $0.79 loonies/litre. Current price here is $1.29.
    You should invade an oil-producing nation, then.

Oh... wait...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

What we would have to do is become an oil refining nation. And somewhat even less environmentally conscious than our current (undeserved) terrible reputation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: AngusThe problem for me is that I have absolutely no idea what the significance might be. It could be anything from a sudden reduction in the price of petrofuels as impossibly wealthy interests compete, to a sudden boost in the price of petrofuels as impossibly wealthy interests collude.
    Yes, we are not represented there. The primary movers and shakers are playing the world domination game there directly and indirectly via their agents and proxies. The incomprehensibly mega-wealthy, powerful and influential lesser players are competing for whatever scraps get thrown from that main table. The vast majority of them will all most likely make out like bandits at our expense. The impact might even be favourable for some of us, but whether or not it will be, and the scale of it, will not have been relevant or taken into consideration by anyone there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokinSo it's still pretty cheap, all things considered.

It certainly damn well is. That's $0.79 loonies/litre. Current price here is $1.29.

Which in turn equates to around £0.80 against the current price round here which is £1.18 / ltr.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You should invade an oil-producing nation, then. 

Oh... wait...
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Yeah, lets invade Scotland! :)
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: DuracellThe great Saudi sell-off: why bankers and lawyers are flocking to the Gulf

Great place to stay away from, then. As if we didn't already know.
    I've always wondered who the hell is vacationing in Dubai. The mere thought makes me cringe in fear.