Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017 edited

Captain Obvious notes that in the US and Europe, at least, there is a modest but accelerating exodus from the use of petroleum as an energy source for vehicles. Even big trucks running fairly short (50 - 100 mile) routes are being converted to pure electrics. I can't see it happening to airliners but everything else may someday run on electric power alone or mainly.

BTW, I love my Camry Hybrid. Plenty of acceleration, adequate power for most tasks, amazingly smooth switchover from pure electric to hybrid power, and it's great not using fuel when waiting in lines or moving slowly in heavy traffic. The engine feel is actually more eager and more powerful than my former V6 VVT "refined" "North Star" type engine. Feels more like an engine driven turbocharger (I had one on a GM product a decade or more ago) at all but highest speeds and steepest hills. For those, the continuously variable transmission sounds wheezy and overworked but the car still moves OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017

Me too, love driving electric. I currently drive an almost 300hp plug-in hybrid, did not fill up my diesel tank since June. Always try to go full electric, even it means to stay below 120 km/h.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017

Posted By: maryyugo...amazingly smooth switchover from pure electric to hybrid power...
    I was under the impression that regardless of the source of electricity, the hybrid vehicle is always physically driven by the electric motor, and the IC engine is really only a generator, not directly connected to the transmission. In which case there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between "pure electric" and "hybrid power", other than perhaps hearing or feeling the IC engine turn on.

Is this not the case?

Or is there a noticeable difference in power being fed to the electric motor when the IC is on vs. just battery?

(I've never driven a hybrid).
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: DuracellOil Trades Near $50 as U.S. Exports Soar, Putin Comments on Cuts

I suspect that's why the Saudi king is meeting with Putin. Get the oil supply situation under control so there's money to be made.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: duncan torus
    Posted By: maryyugo...amazingly smooth switchover from pure electric to hybrid power...
    I was under the impression that regardless of the source of electricity, the hybrid vehicle is always physically driven by the electric motor, and the IC engine is really only a generator, not directly connected to the transmission. In which case there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between "pure electric" and "hybrid power", other than perhaps hearing or feeling the IC engine turn on.

Is this not the case?

Or is there a noticeable difference in power being fed to the electric motor when the IC is on vs. just battery?

(I've never driven a hybrid).

The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive ECVT is a really nice piece of engineering in my opinion. It uses an ICE in parallel with an electric motor, and another electric motor/generator to control the gearing ratio from the ICE to the drive train.

At low speed the power comes mostly from the main electric motor, and at higher speeds the power comes mostly from the ICE, with a sort of electric motor assist (a byproduct of the ECVT system). There is no "switch over" unless you count the moment the ICE is started as your speed increases.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2020

anarchy superiority does not come from nothing.

shorry, mischschpelled enerschy, my detnschurs come losch.
    Zounds like you need some grue.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

Ja.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSwissie

That‘s when the oil hits the fan. Unbelievable.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020 edited

I was just contemplating to flush 800€ down the toilet to upgrade my car-drivers license to be eligible to drive 125ccm motorbikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Yeah, way back in November 2019, in the pre C19 world, I ordered a new BMW X3 M Sport, and of course, in a grotesque case of appallingly bad timing, the fucking obscenity only arrived a couple of weeks ago, just as the entire country was shutting down and life as we know it was drawing its last few dying breaths.

The garage told me that it was one of the last cars to be shipped from Germany and the very last car that they managed to get registered here before that particular office shut down. I have rarely, if ever, felt as intensely ashamed and nauseated as I did on the day that I drove this car home, on a road that had little traffic except for delivery trucks, police cars, ambulances and army vehicles, while I was listening to news reports about how another half a million or so people in this country were finding themselves suddenly unemployed.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

How infuriating.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

(Und da ist noch nicht einmal der Neid eingepreist.)
    Yes, but there really is nothing like that new car smell.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: alsetalokin"Yes, but there really is nothing like that new car smell."

One of the common noises that can be heard from delivery rooms.
    Less than zero.

Gas price here today is between 1.20 and 1.30 USD per gallon. They are not yet paying people to take it away.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

My hamburg metro everything day-tick sucks 6.6ml of euroblood. (6.60€)