Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Jeez. Has everybody gone nuts?

Its a dog, for pete's sake.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2019 edited

It's a dog. The cognition level of a smart dog is about like that of a ten year old child without speech. There is definitely someone at home inside there, who knows who he/she is, what position is occupied in a pack order, who are friends and who are foes. What the dog, nor the child, does not understand is the fact of death and injury. That's where being human is a great advantage-- we can anticipate pain, suffering and death. All the dog knows is that his/her beloved handler wants something done that they both have trained for rigorously but safely. And now, without knowing any better, without fear of pain or knowledge of personal death, the dog does what it is supposed to do and gets blown up for it.

I realize it is necessary but I also still think it's a damned shame. Slavery of the worst kind. At least a human slave knows it's gonna die sooner or later.

ETA: If you haven't seen the movie "Megan Leavey" (2017, dir.Gabriela Cowperthwaite) ... I can recommend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019

Posted By: AngusJeez.

Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinwithout fear of pain or knowledge of personal death, the dog does what it is supposed to do

My point. We honour humans for overcoming those things. To honour a dog for followiing the dictates of its nature seems to denigrate the honour we accord to humans for overcoming theirs.

Dogs are great, dogs are nice, dogs are very sweet and can be very smart. But trying to treat them as your children or your soldiers is just perverse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Angusdenigrate

O shit! Am I in trouble now?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Whatabout treating them as child-soldiers?

Dogs can be nice people but they are hard to argue with once they're miseducated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: aber0derDogs can be nice people but they are hard to argue with once they're miseducated.

Ha. Yes. I know what you mean. Actually they can be a bit stubborn in a well-meaning way.
    (Also in an ill-meaning way if they don't like you.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019 edited

Posted By: AngusJeez. Has everybody gone nuts?

Its a dog, for pete's sake.

In 1975, Ann Landers did indeed ask readers whether they would have children if they could start their marriages over. For several months, she tallied responses before revealing the stunning results in the June 1976 issue of Good Housekeeping. To Landers’ surprise, 70 percent of respondents said they would not, which apparently meant an awful lot of kids had to be grateful their parents couldn’t have a do-over.
    ref.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190826-the-child-free-couples-who-treat-their-pets-like-children
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Self indulgence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Edited, read again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheez70 percent of respondents said they would not, which apparently meant an awful lot of kids had to be grateful their parents couldn’t have a do-over.

Ha! Parents of children will get a kick out of that. "Parents" of dogs might miss the point.
    I'm annoyed that it's my tax dollars funding those despicable Yank grunts in the photos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokinwithout fear of pain or knowledge of personal death, the dog does what it is supposed to do

My point. We honour humans for overcoming those things. To honour a dog for followiing the dictates of its nature seems to denigrate the honour we accord to humans for overcoming theirs.

They both use the same trick - you train until you just do it. So what's really the difference? All that "rational" stuff is just birdsong that gives some comfort to the singer and listener. No one talks about death with the authority of actual experience.

Dogs are great, dogs are nice, dogs are very sweet and can be very smart. But trying to treat them as your children or your soldiers is just perverse.

True, they deserve much better.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI'm annoyed that it's my tax dollars funding those despicable Yank grunts in the photos.

Me too.

So why don't you just go home?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

The USA would probably still come after him for tax ...
    If you have to pay taxes you might as well do it to some government you respect, somebody who makes rational foreign policy decisions and who wants to be a contributing member of a greater world community. Like the UK.
    Paying taxes to the USA does give a person one very important right: You can bitch about it all you want.
    I can anyway.