Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017

A post to improve the quality of this thread.

The Breakthrough Listen project is a £78million ($100million) campaign established by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner and backed by the likes of Stephen Hawking and Mark Zuckerberg.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/795105/alien-signal-breakthrough-listen-stephen-hawking-seti
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Jeez! Milner puts in 78x10^6 pounds and it's Hawking's initiative?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

He's British so obviously he is the driving force and brains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I can see why the EU is making it difficult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017

Because if they don't others will leave or threaten to, and bang goes their (Eurocrats) lucrative salaries and pensions.
    But here we are celebrating together on this very joyous occasion, and there is no place in the world I'd rather be to give my first commencement address as President than here with my wonderful friends at Liberty University. And I accepted this invitation a long time ago. I said to Jerry that I'd be there, and when I say something I mean it.
    So where are the tax returns you promised several times, you stinking pile of shit?

I know that each of you will be a warrior for the truth
    Fuck off.
    “Probably the last person the person [Trump] needs to vouch for him right now is Vladimir Putin,” [Schiff] said about Russia’s offer on the CBS show “This Morning.”
    "Now is the time to institute a travel ban for people who have recently visited a muslim country."
    Questions:
    1. Who will suffer more from these proposed cuts?
    2. Who will vote for Trump again in 2020?

Beattyville, KY (Lee County)
    White: ~96%
    Poverty: ~54%, many on Medicare and/or SNAP
    Unemployment: ~11%
    Education: ~67% High School, ~8% BS/BA or better
    Trump: 81%

San Mateo County, CA (where I live)
    White: ~60%
    Poverty: ~8%
    Unemployment: ~3%
    Education: ~90% High School, ~48% BS/BA or better
    Trump: 18.9%

Answer:
    That's right, the Trump Supporters in Kentucky!

It just proves, you can't fix stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt just proves, you can't fix stupid.

That's an unwarranted conclusion. It might mean that you can't fix Kentucky.

Unless, of course, you consider the two ideas identical.
    "I now understand our intelligence services, as well as House and Senate committees, are conducting inquiries to see if there is any evidence of anyone in the White House working on behalf of the American people. So far, these investigations have only led to dead ends."
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017

every so often, the US electoral cycle produces a corrupt, deluded isolationist who can think only in monosyllables.

The Grauniad, today.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017

Seems to me that this has been true of more nations than the USA in recent years.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017 edited

Magana Ortiz now asks us to stay his imminent removal. Because we are without authority to do so, he will be returned to Mexico, after having spent 28 years successfully building a life and family in this country. He will also be subject to a ten-year bar against his return, likely forcing him to spend a decade deprived of his wife, children, and community.

This was not the necessary result. Magana Ortiz is currently attempting to obtain legal status on the basis of his wife’s and children’s citizenship, a process that is well underway. It has been over a year since his wife, Brenda, submitted her application to have Magana Ortiz deemed her immediate relative. This August, his eldest daughter, Victoria, will turn 21, and will also be able to file an application for her father. All Magana Ortiz asked for in requesting a stay was to remain in this country, his home of almost three decades, while pursuing such routes to legal status. It was fully within the government’s power to once more grant his reasonable request. Instead, it has ordered him deported immediately.

In doing so, the government forces us to participate in ripping apart a family. Three United States citizen children will now have to choose between their father and their country. If they leave their homeland with their father, the children would be forced to move to a nation with which they have no connection. All three children were born in the United States; none has ever lived in Mexico or learned Spanish. Moving with their father would uproot their lives, interrupt their educations, and deprive them of the opportunities afforded by growing up in this country. If they remain in the United States, however, the children would not only lose a parent, but might also be deprived of their home, their opportunity for higher education, and their financial support. Subjecting vulnerable children to a choice between expulsion to a foreign land or losing the care and support of their father is not how this nation should treat its citizens.

President Trump has claimed that his immigration policies would target the “bad hombres.” The government’s decision to remove Magana Ortiz shows that even the “good hombres” are not safe. Magana Ortiz is by all accounts a pillar of his community and a devoted father and husband. It is difficult to see how the government’s decision to expel him is consistent with the President’s promise of an immigration system with “a lot of heart.” I find no such compassion in the government’s choice to deport Magana Ortiz.

We are unable to prevent Magana Ortiz’s removal, yet it is contrary to the values of this nation and its legal system. Indeed, the government’s decision to remove Magana Ortiz diminishes not only our country but our courts, which are supposedly dedicated to the pursuit of justice. Magana Ortiz and his family are in truth not the only victims. Among the others are judges who, forced to participate in such inhumane acts, suffer a loss of dignity and humanity as well. I concur as a judge, but as a citizen I do not.

- Circuit Judge Stephen Reinhardt, concurring in 9th Circuit's order denying stay of deportation order. May 30, 2017.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/05/30/17-16014.pdf
    Trump's also gutting a whole raft of social programs - for example, bigotry in government departments has an oversight structure. But thanks to Sessions, no longer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017

Presumably it is now just overlooked?
    What part of "covfefe" don't you understand?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017

...there is no plan B because there is no planet B.” 

E.Macron
    I think the best description I've heard of this administration is "Watergate but with stupid people"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017

"I know I was fired because something about the way I was conducting the Russia investigation was some way putting pressure on him, was some way irritating him."
    - James Comey