Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017

Dupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2017

You can log off, sure. But you can’t stop the outrage economy

There is a vast gulf that separates the Brexit ultra’s denunciation of traitors and the decision by a far-right acolyte to murder an MP. But there is also a bridge between them: a chain of association that eases the journey in a disturbed mind from stewing in hatred of an imagined enemy to seeking vengeance.

But violence can be more subtly seeded in political language. It is common around the grassroots of Labour to hear calls for the whole capitalist system to be smashed, usually from young activists who have never experienced the trauma of living through a system in ruins. The neo-Bolshevik rallying cry sounds romantic until you consider that “the system” is actually a set of institutions run by people. The digital Desmoulins of the Corbyn revolution rarely explain who is to be smashed, and with what tools, if it is all to be done on a scale to bring the whole edifice down.

The urge to radical demolition is born partly of despair when gradual reform feels inadequate to effect social change. But it expresses the cyclical impatience that grips the activist temperament after periods of technocratic consensus. Clive James once observed this habit in fidgety intellectuals: “For them, a political system which has attained a condition of vibrating stasis provides an insufficient resonance. Briefly, they find it boring. Bored, they play with fire.”

Anger is useful in politics as a spur to action against injustice, corruption, misrule. But as a gateway to raw hatred, stoking an appetite for retribution, it is toxic. The distinction between those modes is lost in the riotous rhetoric of online dispute, which increasingly permeates the world offline. Switching off devices isn’t a solution. But it is a way to avoid – if just for a few days – being part of the problem; to avoid the call of the dark side.
    God has a perfectly good plan for the world. So stop all that praying in an attempt to fuck it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018

Ha.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Posted By: DuracellDouglas Bader once gave a speech at an upmarket girls’ school in England, about an episode as a WWII pilot, during which address he described “two of the fuckers behind me, three fuckers to my right, another fucker to the left”. A pale-faced headmistress interjected: “Ladies, the Fokker was a German aircraft.” And Bader responded: "That may be, madam, but these fuckers were in Messerschmitts."

I met Douglas Bader as a kid in the 50's when he decided to land his personal aircraft (without prior agreement) at a farm we were holidaying on. War hero or not, he was the worst-tempered most self-important SOB I ever encountered. And that is saying something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The story has been told about all sorts of RAF pilots including Belgians Poles and Swedes. It's apocryphal.
    The collective has doubtless heard the joke many times before, oh we long of teeth and memories. Nevertheless, I always enjoy it when it comes around again.

Now the same cannot be said about sex, but not for the same reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Indeed the unending enjoyment of a tiny repertoire of Dad jokes is a sign of age.
    Well then, here's one from my Dad.

A man walks into a bar with a brown paper bag under his arm.
    "What can I get you, Sir?"
    "A beer"
    "Right o. By the way, what've you got in the bag?"
    "A crab"
    "Oh, a crab! Are you taking it home for tea?"
    "No, it's had its tea; we're going to the pictures in a minute"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

My favourite Dad joke, which drives my pilot son to distraction, is the simple one-liner

"Helicopters don't actually fly. They are so ugly the ground repels them."
    Sure. And the AN-2 proves that anything will fly if you throw it hard enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

In the case of the AN-2 I believe it proves also that anything will appear to fly if it makes enough noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Inceptus clamor frustratur hiantes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2018

“He’s not only crazy, he’s stupid.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2018 edited

The author of a controversial book on Donald Trump's White House says the US president has "less credibility than perhaps anybody who has ever walked on Earth at this point".

Mr Wolff told NBC's Today show that Mr Trump's staff "all say he is like a child".

"He has a need for immediate gratification," Michael Wolff told NBC's Today show.

"This man does not read, does not listen. He's like a pinball just shooting off the sides."

Trump 'has no credibility': author
    Another millionaire is born
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2018

Asked if attempts to block the book's publication, and the attendant publicity, had helped sales, he smiled and said: "Where do I send the box of chocolates?"
    Trump tweet, emphasis mine:
    I authorized Zero access to White House (actually turned him down many times) for author of phony book! I never spoke to him for book. Full of lies, misrepresentations and sources that don’t exist. Look at this guy’s past and watch what happens to him and Sloppy Steve!
    LOL, how the fuck would he even know?

Even IF he had a copy of the book we all know he wouldn't be able to read more than a paragraph, IF that.
    "It is a stigmatising insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr Trump (who is neither)." - Dr. Allen Frances

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42580762