Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2021 edited

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2021

Posted By: goatcheezYou never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.

Buckminster Fuller

Genau!

If your innovation is worth its praise, no demolition is required. Nature is great at sorting.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2021 edited

Oftmals haben die Naturgesetze eine viel längere Geduldsspanne oder Hartnäckigkeit; konträr zu den Wünschen/Erwartungen mancher Erfinder.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021

'We don't need Musk to "extend the light of consciousness to the stars".
    We need him to pay his fair share in taxes so people living on this planet can survive and thrive.'

- Robert Reich
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021 edited

I dunno. It's fashionable to resent the rich, of course, and the richer they are the more we may resent them. And Musk's rather arrogant attitude helps us to do it. But really, if you took 100 percent of his wealth and income as tax and did what governments do with tax money, would anyone really be better off? I mean besides the shareholders in the Military-Industrial Complex armaments manufacturers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021

In short - yes. But if governments were to readjust their budgets to reflect actual needs, infinitely better.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021

Posted By: alsetalokinBut really, if you took 100 percent of his wealth and income as tax and did what governments do with tax money, would anyone really be better off?

Yes, though nobody is suggesting 100%.

You could argue that about any individual and conclude nobody should pay any taxes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

For example: if you took all of Elon's money you could operate a public broadcaster on the scale of PBS in each of the world's countries and have plenty over to make highly intellectual programming with.
    But that's not what would happen. Instead, the USA would build another aircraft carrier or two and another wing of F35s with the money.
    So, might as well let him keep it and entertain us all with his fireworks potlatch displays if that's what he wants to do with it.
    Posted By: BigOilRepYou could argue that about any individual and conclude nobody should pay any taxes.

No, I could rather argue that governments waste much of the tax money we entrust to them. Does the USA really _really_ need all those F35s? I actually don't think so.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinBut that's not what would happen. Instead, the USA would build another aircraft carrier or two and another wing of F35s with the money.

Well, they would spend 15% of that money on the military. As it stands 85% would be spent on other things.

I don't really buy the argument that we shouldn't tax the ultra-rich as some of that money would be spent on weapons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

The question is surely, why expect people that have less money than Musk to buy all the State stuff and effectively subsidise his enterprises.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021 edited

Excellent point. Let Musk fund Space-X. Then we'll see some over-unity. Or not.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Let him fund Tesla as well, that only exists through lavish tax-payer subsidies.
    Visionaries work best with other people's money. It's the best kind of zero-sum game, going all the way back to "Heads I win, Tails you lose."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Musk has the whiff of a Seanster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

SpaceX is self-funded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheezSpaceX is self-funded.

Really? All those satellite launches are pristine-pure of public money? I know the ISS launches aren't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021 edited

Elon is not paying. Funds are derived from competed contracts that actually saved the buyers money compared to other launch systems.

Forget your meds today?

<><><><><><>

Angus 4 hours ago edited

Excellent point. Let Musk fund Space-X. Then we'll see some over-unity. Or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I didn't say Elon was paying for them. I extended the ongoing implication in this thread that he was profiting from public money and given the imbalance of the situation he should give some of it back.

Check the dosette yourself.