Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Jeez, good to see people keeping to the topics under discussion.
    Merry christmas everyone
    Time for a festive movie I think. Perhaps Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2.
    Now now boys, play nice, or don't.
    Ahh, nice to come home, turn on the computer and watch the squabbles, who needs kids for christmas!
    But please don't stop, my games machine in temporarly on the blink and I'm missing the foul language in GTA IV.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009

Posted By: RunningBaremy games machine in temporarly on the blink and I'm missing the foul language in GTA IV.

Might buy myself that for Christmas. Is it best with a gamepad? Or fine with mouse?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgenesis

Posted By: tinkerI dont know anything about the particular device demonstrated as I have only seen as much of it as you have. However (being in the cult) I have built a similar machine. I have no way of measuring torque - but it is modest.
    Try 125 mW @ 800+rpm for size. Though I am not sure it helps you since you don't have any windage/friction figures to give you. Tinker.

i take this as addresed to me...so the answer is: i don't care about the exact values per this question- in theory - what results would be expected in theory for a motor with 0 CEMF...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: RunningBaremy games machine in temporarly on the blink and I'm missing the foul language in GTA IV.

Might buy myself that for Christmas. Is it best with a gamepad? Or fine with mouse?

Fine with a mouse, better IMO.
    Posted By: BigOilRep

Not tried with gamepad, but it's been my past experience that I've always returned to kb and mouse after trying a pad, I can tell you this much, the pool game does not work well with mouse but the bowls is great (these are games within GTA IV in fully rendered 3D), careful you do not get addicted, I never thought anything would get me away from Fallout 3 and Oblvion, I've not touched them since purchasing GTA IV a week ago.
    • CommentAuthorCrastney

BOR - you are of course right, I could just fuck off. but then so could any of us.
    I'm only here because it's more fun that actually doing work.

make sure the whippets get lots of exercise over Christmas, and I'll see you back here in the new year!
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: CrastneyBOR - you are of course right, I could just fuck off. but then so could any of us.
    I'm only here because it's more fun that actually doing work.

Fair enough.

make sure the whippets get lots of exercise over Christmas, and I'll see you back here in the new year!

Only got the one, but he'll get a good run around!
    • CommentAuthorCrastney

Burgess Park?
    • CommentAuthordareka1

I've learned to just skip over grimer's posts. I occasionally pick up a 'beta.....' or something, but that's just down to bad luck.
    joshs does act like an idiot, but some of his posts are very good and he clearly has good knowledge, so I appreciate him posting sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited

Posted By: dareka1I've learned to just skip over Grimer's posts...

Very sensible.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Did someone just say something?
    Gaaack.

Frank, I have some new information.

The orbo motor is inside out. I don't know if this will affect your interpretation of its workings, I haven't had time to think it out yet.

The magnets are attracted to the ferrite material of the core. This requires no "power input" to achieve, just positioning, which is done by the geometry of the rotor, the magnets, and the cores.

Here's the kicker: the attraction of the cores/magnets is switched OFF by the application of current to the coil. I have verified this experimentally, as has MrEntropy; my video experiment is uploading now.

The toroidal form contributes to the design in the following way: paradoxically, it ensures that the actual coil field is NOT appreciably involved in accelerating the rotor by directly attracting or repelling the rotor magnets. The energy in the coil does therefore seem to wind up as Joule heating of the coil/toroid. With emphasis on "seem", of course.

So some of Sean's claims have actually been supported by my experimentation. I do not understand the energetic costs involved in switching...er...I don't even understand just what is being switched.
    That's what I try to explain for some days...
    Furthermore, the energy is used to establish the magnetic field/flux in the toroidal core. It produces some heat too, but that portion is absolutely irrelevant, maybe a 1/100 degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

QUestion , what difference would it do for the work function of the motor, if instead of having :
    -> a ferrite core around on stator atracting possibly magnet on the rotor when current is off, but being shioelded when current is on
    -> same PM magnet on rotor, but on stator a magnet which is off when no current , and on with the same attraction / B vector felt by the magnet when the curernt is on

If the case below is more easily modellable or known, then gut feeling for me is that there would be no difference in the final outcome, except that instead of switching off the stator you switch it on.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited

Interesting. So it's a very extremely super-INEFFICIENT motor which barely works as a motor and as such requires extremely low friction to even turn itself. Sounds like a great way to develop overunity, doesn't it? I hope Sean puts his fancy scope on the battery like he told someone at the other forum that he would. That would be fun to see.

So to summarize, if Al is right, Orbo is mainly a fancy room heater type plastic sculpture. It happens to spin because you can make it go around with magents if you switch some of the magnets off at the right time with a complex set of switches and solenoids. So it's what... 0.1% efficient? .001%? And the rest of the current from the battery ends up as heat? And that is what Steorn claims is an overunity generator?
    If you use the power generated by the orbo to run the fan it will be almost as efficient as a $19.99 cube heater from wally's sucker mart
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoSideSam

What you are all missing is the obvious reason that the Orbos are screwed down to stands hanging off of the large rack. It is so that they can be flipped upside down using a hidden axle. Then by taking the reciprocal of the efficiency they go from 1/3 to 3X!
    So was the Kinetica farce the same design? If so, it wasn't the lights melting the bearings, but the device itself going into meltdown.

Maybe it also explains why they're holding this at the Waterways museum - it's being water-cooled by the Liffey!