Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I been fiddling with wind turbines...
    ... just coz I have been.

Any who, I want to store the power and batteries are kinda expensive. So I want to make some of my own

Lead acid batteries seem to be the go but I'm a bit worried about poisoning myself and the neighbors with a home built lead plate casting thing-a-me.

Anyone know of a reasonable way to store electricity that won't get me or my neighbors killed?
    • CommentAuthorbc
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

Pumped storage hydro is the safest, but hardly cheap. I think lead/acid is still probably the best cost/power density. It's relatively safe, even if you use open batteries. Just make sure you stand them in a ceramic tray to catch the spills.

A safe/cheap storage for renewable power is a Holy Grail, much more useful to work on that than OU.
    • CommentAuthorspinner

Posted By: my_pen_is_stuckI been fiddling with wind turbines...
    ... just coz I have been.

Any who, I want to store the power and batteries are kinda expensive. So I want to make some of my own

Lead acid batteries seem to be the go but I'm a bit worried about poisoning myself and the neighbors with a home built lead plate casting thing-a-me.

Anyone know of a reasonable way to store electricity that won't get me or my neighbors killed?

If you have a valid energy contributor/converting device, you can store your surplus in "any type of battery" you can get your hands on... (presumably for storing electrical energy).
    Of course, you can always get things complicated, e.g. a hydrogen cycle, etc.

Lead batteries are still the cheapest batteries you can get (performance/cost ratio * volume/weight)...

Automobile accumulators are easy to get, reasonably inexpensive and STILL very useful type of energy storage.

But if you have too much money to spend, there are other means of storage, too...
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Lead acid's biggest problem is limited deep cycle charge / discharge life. Finding a way to economically and safely store energy remains a holy grail kind of problem. For people close to a utility connection and reasonable feed-in tariffs, a grid tie system is usually the most cost effective solution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Buy golf cart 6V lead acid cells. They are designed for deep discharges. Auto batteries are designed to crank briefly at high currents.
    I don't think you would want to make your own lead cells. Probably cost more in the end and definitely won't work as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrflora

I have been looking at the aluminum-air battery. Al foil anode, saltwater electrolyte, activated charcoal cathode. Cheap, easy to build from common materials, recharges just by replacing the foil.

Regards,
    M.R.F.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009 edited

• CommentAuthorMrEntropy

I suggest a hydraulic accumulator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_accumulator.

If you don't want to build a tower, it works just as well to dig a hole.

Have fun!
    The aluminum air battery looks worth playing with. I wonder how much mess I can make before I get into trouble.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: my_pen_is_stuck

How much energy do you want to store - how quickly do you want to tap it and for how long. Do you want to run a few LED's in the garden or have enough juice to cook an 18lb turkey in an electric oven?
    I'd like to be off the grid, but that's a bit ambitious so I'm aiming for a wind/solar powered computer. 400 watts-ish with the LCD monitor.