Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordareka1
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009

Don't know if any of you know of this one. It looks like an interesting idea and good extra protection-

http://www.sandboxie.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

"Tired of dealing with rogue software, spyware and malware?

Spent too many hours removing unsolicited software?

Worried about clicking unfamiliar Web links?"

Then RUN LINUX, you masochistic fuckwit.
    • CommentAuthordareka1

It wasn't that interesting I take it then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009 edited

@dereka1 - I thought it was quite a neat piece of software - probably a bit late in the days of easy virtual machines. I think legendre awarded you FOTW because you seem unable to select an appropriate category for new threads (I've moved it for you).
    Could be useful for FOTWs who refuse to give up on Windows and don't want to install virtualization SW. Might have less overhead than a VM.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Actually I've heard sandboxie is pretty good. Not everybody wants to hassle with learning a whole new thing like Linux.
    null@null-aleph:~$ uptime
    12:25:08 up 19 days, 15:48, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
    null@null-aleph:~$

Had to reboot your Windows box lately?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Macintosh-2:~ aber0der$ downtime
    -bash: downtime: command not found
    My wife runs Linux. She was complaining about her new Vista computer running slow new out of the box so I installed Ubuntu.

I showed her where Firefox and Open office were, how to change the theme and background, and how to shut it down. (Took all of 5 minutes time.)

She's been running it for about a year now, and absolutely loves it.

If that wasn't enough anecdotal evidence for you, at the local public computer lab (where I run an after school program) I installed Ubuntu on one of the computers as a kind of test. The kids call that machine 'the fast one'.

The only problem we've had with it in the 6 months it's been installed are a few kids asking where internet explorer is. I just tell them to "use Firefox instead" and they get along okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

How facile. You won't find me defending bloated, inefficient, buggy windows however, just for the record, the version of Firefox I'm writing from is annoying, naggy, slow, grinding, and at times simply stops and sits there until it decides to continue (after minutes) or I relieve it of its misery with a Ctrl-Alt-Del salute exactly like IE except more often and worse. As for Linux variants, it's fine if all you ever use is FF and open office. Any old DOS would probably work for those too, or their equivalents, one at a time. I run more than 30 different programs regularly and maybe another 30 occasionally for different purposes such as editing various types of media in a myriad of formats. Many are used to trouble shoot and debug the machine or accelerate it. Others to work on web sites, upload and store software and media, perform backups, defragment the hard drive. Yet others scan and process documents, set up printing in volume, and so on and on and on. And I get new hardware all the time to test or use.

After doing this for many years, I am not about to track each one down to see if there is a Linux equivalent, how it works, if it works and what it's command structure it and whether or not it has updates and drivers for my machine. And then I change machines every few years. Windows is no picnic but I prefer the devil that I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Ah, I think I see the problem, or part of it anyway.

You are trying to use your Swiss Army knife for every problem, when you should be using a few specialized tools for the tough stuff and a lightweight high-tech multitool for the mundane easy stuff.
    How do you expect to run a web browser and a non-linear video editing suite easily at the same time on the same machine?

Just do what so many others have done: resurrect that old ibm t-series laptop, that is too "slow" and "crippled" to run Windows anymore, and wipe it and install a Linux flavor and use it for your misc. web browsing and notetaking.
    Yow won't look back.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

My IBM T41 w/ 2GB RAM has a Pentium M /1.8Ghz and runs fine under XP especially using a Super Talent Duradrive 32 GB SSD. My current main machine has an i7 965 quad processor at 3.2Ghz with 12 GB of RAM and 2 TB of HD in raid 0. I'm waiting for SSD prices to drop a bit before installing one. No problems with adequate power to run Win 7. So far still under Vista 64 bit which, everything considered, actually works pretty well on that machine. The issue is that the average home and very small business user doesn't have an IT pro and can't maintain or service their machine and cope with all the infelicities and mistakes. That seems to apply equally to Linux and to Windows and an only slightly lesser degree to the Mac (except that's a guess because I've never used a Mac). O/S's and programs are very fallible and hard to diagnose and fix -- the hardware is comparatively easy because most desktop computers consist of at most a half dozen relatively reliable and easily replaced modules. Software wise, the average consumer takes it in the ear and up the butt again and again and again -- my neighbors constantly make pests of themselves asking for help so I see what's going on. My friends know better than to ask-- I've already given them reliable professional sources for help. Otherwise, I'd be doing nothing else. I don't see anyone using Linux who isn't "into" computers. I doubt it'd be that helpful to them unless they had the willing and available help of someone familiar with Linux.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Some rules to live by:
    1) don't pee uphill or upwind
    2) never talk to a cop
    3) never, never, ever admit to your neighbors that you know anything about computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Some additional rules to live by:
    1) don't pee uphill, upwind or on an electric fence
    2) never talk to a cop while wearing shades
    3) never, never, ever admit to your neighbors that you know anything about computers. Ever.
    Posted By: maryyugojust for the record, the version of Firefox I'm writing from is annoying, naggy, slow, grinding, and at times simply stops and sits there until it decides to continue (after minutes) or I relieve it of its misery with a Ctrl-Alt-Del salute exactly like IE except more often and worse.

Sounds like you may have other problems with your computer. I've been running FF since version 1.5 without experiencing any of the issues you mention.

Now, I have seen those problems on "clean" computers running Symantec Endpoint Protection and Norton Internet Security. If you use either one of those, I'd recommend switching to Kaspersky or Avast.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Whoa. Add to list:

Never discuss computers on generic internet forums. EVER.

PS: my system is clean as a whistle. First, it's pretty new. Second, it's regularly maintained but not with the software you suggest. Norton, for example, is the worst kind of bloatware and garbage. I use Avira antivirus, SpybotS&D, Hijackthis, and Malwarebytes, all with regular updates and scheduled scans. The HD's are defragmented and most used files relocated to the "front" of the HD with ultradefragment from Sourceforge. And so on. It's not the system. It's a known, well documented, and constantly complained about all over the internet problem with Firefox. Nothing is magic. Especially with software. Generally, hardware is great and leaps and jumps ahead of software. Software, especially MS operating systems are the bane of our existence. And they are that way largely for DRM or so that advertisers can continue to try to force us to view unwanted intrusive and obnoxious ads that for the most part, don't work anyway. Add to that the need to accomodate 162 different languages, thousands of fonts, and all sorts of incompatible local laws and well... I'm surprised the designers don't throw in the towel. Aside: a friend of mine is fairly high up the food chain in HP's all-in-one division and he despises Microsoft and Microsoft engineers. He says they suck big time and constantly spring bad surprises and errors on software developers. Anyway, no time to continue this but thanks for the suggestions.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Weird.
    I never have seen that welldocumented and discussedontheinternetalloeverproblem with Firefox either, and I have also been using it since v1. On three different MS os's, several Linux flavors, Mac OSX, and everything from a IBM 600e laptop to hardware similar to Mary's.

I'm jealous.

(EDIT to add: actually the Steorn live stream did give me some problems. Every time the stream went to black, the page froze. I blame NoScript, though, and the bundle of scripts that site wanted to run.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Mmmm - have to admit I must have missed the firefox problem. My windows machines also seem to be fine - with the exchange server going 6+ months between re-boots (and not because it's crashed). This forum is running on all OS software - MySQL, PHP, Apache, Linux and vanilla - but FATAL ERROR - even that can't save us from someones crappy code.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I had some problems with Firefox earlier this year (slow, frequent crashes etc. ).
    It turned out to be a malware(eta: or other extension/plugin, I don't use a AV scanner, so I don't really know) problem. I had to delete my Firefox user
    profile(the complete directory) but since then it worked almost flawlessly.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Yeah. A complete mystery. Google "Firefox slow" (no quotes) and it returns 10 million+ entries. Looking at a few,
    this is typical. Very common problem. Either those who don't see don't browse many individual sites or they don't know what slow is. As for Windows machines, it depends what you try, what you need, what you do. As often as not, it doesn't do as expected, help doesn't help, and for non-IT people, no solution is available except for a $125 per hour house call.