Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: maryyugoWhoa. Add to list:

Never discuss computers on generic internet forums. EVER.

A bit condescending, don't you think?

Posted By: maryyugo
    PS: my system is clean as a whistle. First, it's pretty new. Second, it's regularly maintained but not with the software you suggest. Norton, for example, is the worst kind of bloatware and garbage.

I recommended against Norton.

Posted By: maryyugo It's not the system. It's a known, well documented, and constantly complained about all over the internet problem with Firefox.

A link would be nice -- "my browser hangs up" is a bit vague.

Posted By: maryyugoAnyway, no time to continue this but thanks for the suggestions.
    You're quite welcome.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009

Posted By: maryyugoActually I've heard sandboxie is pretty good. Not everybody wants to hassle with learning a whole new thing like Linux.
    Then use the CheckPoint products marketed as ZoneAlarm. They now include a similar facility they call ForceField.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusSome additional rules to live by:
    1) don't pee uphill, upwindor on an electric fence
    2) never talk to a copwhile wearing shades
    3) never, never, ever admit to your neighbors that you know anything about computers.Ever.
    That problem is readily corrected when you first suggest they connect a lamp cord to their HDD to test if it is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

'I don't know anything about Windows' works good as well.
    computer users usually defend what they use or know. weird that.

personally i like google chrome for browsing; and i've been scared by both zonealarm and norton (both causing errors that required wiping profiles). but another good anti-malware / diagnostics tool is autoruns.exe by sysinternals. actually anything by sysinternals rocks.

i use both linux and windows; but a lot of the tools and libraries i use are crossplatform anyway so the OS is becoming less and less important anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Didn't mean to sound condescending. That's what prolonged software induced torture does to the soul. Don't know about the new one but the classic Zonealarm used to be a crapware firewall sort of thing- it would cause internet to slow to a crawl or to stop working unpredictably with totally bogus error messages or nothing at all. Useless and buggy. I tend not to give software makers second chances based on doing it to my sorrow. Glad we agree Norton hasn't had anything worthwhile to buy since Peter Norton sold out to Symantec in what, 1985?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited

(continued rant from above):

Incidentally, I recently explored the impenetrable new alphabet soup of television cable transmission -- cable cards, SDV, and all that related horribly complicated garbage of ways the marketing folks want to force you to watch ads and to not be able to use media materials you pay for. The public is pretty docile and dumb when it comes to paying usurious amounts for execrable "entertainment" but this mess is so obtuse, it may be where even the public draws the line. On the other hand, they still pay for a cable box and cable-sponsored DVR that try every way they can to get between you and the enjoyment of programs. Makes one long for the messy but functional VCR. TiVo is one slight bright light but actually most TiVos don't work well or consistently, the software is buggy and loses programs and data and any sort of repair work on the (UNIX please note) system in TiVo takes literally hours of watching animations and blank screens. I tried using a computer based recorder. Couldn't find one that works. Personally tried Avermedia PCI 550 with built in time base correction and PCI300 with infrared remote and neither would work, either with Media Center 2005 which they were designed for or with third party or supplied software. There are new computer TV tuners from such as ATI/AMD -- you should read the reviews on Amazon.com and at newegg.com. It's obvious that those, most of the time and for most users don't work either! I do use an MCPC 2005 system from HP which was packaged with the tuner card already in it. It skips, stutters, hesitates, desynchronizes the sound and the picture but at least it records as ordered. Well... unless something goes wrong and it needs to reboot.

Never thought I'd think it but stealing video media from thepiratebay.com feels right. It's what the asswipes who package all this useless and time consuming garbage deserve. And the Ballbuster store (Blockbuster) and Hollywood video down the block are... you guessed it... out of business. Weird world out there. Steorn aren't the only unconscionable scammers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Posted By: maryyugoNever thought I'd think it but stealing video media from thepiratebay.com feels right. It's what the asswipes who package all this useless and time consuming garbage deserve. And the Ballbuster store (Blockbuster) and Hollywood video down the block are... you guessed it... out of business. Weird world out there. Steorn aren't the only unconscionable scammers.
    The internet has saved us a bundle. I receive one over-the-air channel and watch it for about 30 minutes a day for local news and weather. Otherwise, my news comes from half a dozen internet sites. As for tv shows and movies, they all come from torrent sites. I burn them to a re-writeable dvd and watch them on the tv or the computer monitor.

If it is illegal or immoral to download them, I haven't felt any social or other pressure that it is. About the only music I download is from DWEMs from one or more hundred years ago, and nobody seems to care about those guys.

I don't know if and when all these freebies will morph into some kind of subscription sites but, for now, all I pay is the $30/month for my isp connection.

And the telephone should not be forgotten: $35/year for unlimited calling via the internet to North America. 1 to 1.7 cents/minute for calls to Western Europe and Australia. Incoming numbers (located anywhere but which ring here) for $1.49/month, with things like call forwarding, voicemail, caller ID whitelisting, etc. that would cost $100/month if you got them from Bell.

The siblings, who live in a distant land, call a number that is local to them and, mirable dictu, it rings here!
    That's pretty funny. I have an AverMedia a180 HDTV card in this computer, have had for nearly 2 years. Works fine with the ATI graphics accelerator and the widescreen monitor. I get something like 20 channels with a homemade antenna. Most of them are Christian and/or Spanish language, but the system works fine. I haven't bothered with the IR remote but I'm sure it will work too.

MyTV is the Linux app that I use, but it's just a frontend for the video/tv system, I could watch in other video apps like MoviePlayer or vlc as well. vlc also of course can work as a PVR, recording whatever it's playing from one stream into another, like a file or an internet stream. And of course it can record in realtime and on schedule. Why bother with TiVo?
    So one could tune in a HDTV channel and stream it over the internet using vlc.
    Might need a tad more CPU than I've got for that, though. I just have Intel Core 2 Duo 800MHz.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I just have Intel Core 2 Duo 800MHz.
    Made it yourself? I don't think you can purchase one of those. Atoms used to work at that speed but they're single core.

If you don't believe me about how bad these hardware and software combinations are (ATI, Hauppage, and so on) read the reviews on Amazon.com and newegg.com. A few people are lucky. You may be one of them.

And @Couldbe, use Skype or Magicjack and you can cut your phone fees even lower. Of course, you can't put skype in your pocket for free and reliably quite yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

I've read a lot of bad, and a little good about MagicJack. Do you use that thing, Mary? How can the USB port source enough power to ring a POTS phone?

Main thing keeping me away from it, is that (AFAIK) it's Windows-only.

ETA: From the MagicJack Knowledgebase..

Q: Does MagicJack work with Linux?
    A: Not yet.

We expect to offer Linux support the first quarter of 2010.
    Posted By: maryyugo
    I just have Intel Core 2 Duo 800MHz.
    Made it yourself? I don't think you can purchase one of those. Atoms used to work at that speed but they're single core.

If you don't believe me about how bad these hardware and software combinations are (ATI, Hauppage, and so on) read the reviews on Amazon.com and newegg.com. A few people are lucky. You may be one of them.

And @Couldbe, use Skype or Magicjack and you can cut your phone fees even lower. Of course, you can't put skype in your pocket for free and reliably quite yet.

You are right, I just quoted the Front side Bus speed by mistake. The cpu speed is faster, of course at 2.2 GHz.
    Intel Core Duo e4500
    Obsolete now, of course.

And that's me, for sure. Unlucky in love, lucky with computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

I love this web site...
    http://www.computeronline.com.au/system.php?package=28
    ... but I can't seem to keep my dream machine under $10,000
    Posted By: my_pen_is_stuckI love this web site...
    http://www.computeronline.com.au/system.php?package=28
    ... but I can't seem to keep my dream machine under $10,000

Look up your "last year's" Dream Machine. I imagine it will be a lot cheaper...and will anyone notice the difference except in the most intense gaming?
    • CommentAuthorTesl01D
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009

23:59:06:PST (5) tesl01D@HOME:0:~/tmp$ uptime
    00:01:21 up 18 days, 8:27, 8 users, load average: 0.16, 0.17, 0.11
    00:01:21:PST (5) tesl01D@HOME:0:~/tmp$

[modified]
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Al is right about nobody noticing. Even the "mighty" i7 variants with gobs of RAM won't realize their potential until programs are written (and debugged) to use those 8 potential cores, on the fly automatic overclocking, and new instruction sets. Video editing and gaming are two areas where there can't be too much power.

Someone asked about Magicjack -- nope, sorry, didn't use it yet. And I've had trouble with Skype -- tried to get it to do full duplex reliably and couldn't so gave it up for a while. Verizon has affordable "free long distance" where I live so there is little reason to use VOIP. A friend of mine has a high resistance to bobbles and bugs and he has full time VOIP from Time Warner as his main telephone. It's sort of entertaining. Never know what volume level or clarity to expect when you call this guy, sometimes it's full duplex, sometimes not, and then there's the times when it just goes away and doesn't come back. Oh... but it announces caller ID on his big screen TV. Wowee.

Core2Duo at 2.4GHz will do internet, word processing, and light duty photo and video editing no worries. So does Windows XP. Even Windows 2K. Most of the time.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: maryyugoAl is right about nobody noticing. Even the "mighty" i7 variants with gobs of RAM won't realize their potential until programs are written (and debugged) to use those 8 potential cores, on the fly automatic overclocking, and new instruction sets. Video editing and gaming are two areas where there can't be too much power.

Someone asked about Magicjack -- nope, sorry, didn't use it yet. And I've had trouble with Skype -- tried to get it to do full duplex reliably and couldn't so gave it up for a while. Verizon has affordable "free long distance" where I live so there is little reason to use VOIP. A friend of mine has a high resistance to bobbles and bugs and he has full time VOIP from Time Warner as his main telephone. It's sort of entertaining. Never know what volume level or clarity to expect when you call this guy, sometimes it's full duplex, sometimes not, and then there's the times when it just goes away and doesn't come back. Oh... but it announces caller ID on his big screen TV. Wowee.

Core2Duo at 2.4GHz will do internet, word processing, and light duty photo and video editing no worries. So does Windows XP. Even Windows 2K. Most of the time.
    I've heard good reports on Vonage.