Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010

Posted By: AtomAngus, Quantan, Genesis and others are prepared to be direct, but you, you slither and avoid like the low life you really are.

OK - so here it is from Angus direct.

I have no idea who Joshs is. He has pissed me off before with his approach to people who probably mostly need sympathetic guidance, and I have taken him to task for it. That is definitely not his talent.

Nevertheless, he knows what he is talking about. So did Newton - and I am not setting up a parallel except for the aspect I will now explain... People who know their stuff are not necessarily nice people. Newton himself was a major asshole when he was promoted outside physics.

So get used to it. It may be necessary to swallow your pride to learn the full range of what may be thought. And the truth may be pretty far along that range - not somewhere you see on your daily jog. Be sympathetic to Josh's inability to deal with aggressive ignorance. He is probably not destined for a knighthood, however good his physics is. That rankles, you know...

I will also repeat an earlier appeal. Joshs - lighten up. You are not optimising your impact, and that is a major waste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Angus

Have you heard of Professor Germano D'Abramo, and what do you think of his paper?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010 edited

Posted By: Trim@Angus

Have you heard of Professor Germano D'Abramo, and what do you think of his paper?

Trim

Gimme leeway and I will get round to it out of curiosity. But I am hampered by the smell of a violation of the second law of thermodynamics, which upsets my digestion and deters me from using prime time. If you can recommend that it is not so I will try to resurrect it from the goo at the bottom of the pile. And no - I do not know of the man.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

[quote][cite]Posted By: Angus[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Trim[/cite]@Angus

Have you heard of Professor Germano D'Abramo, and what do you think of his paper?[/quote]

Trim

Gimme leeway and I will get round to it out of curiosity. But I am hampered by the smell of a violation of the second law of thermodynamics, which upsets my digestion and deters me from using prime time. If you can recommend that it is not so I will try to resurrect it from the goo at the bottom of the pile. And no - I do not know of the man.[/quote]

Angus, a man of selective indigestion, give him Orbo pie and he will eat it all day, give him a paper from a noted prof of physics suggesting a possible 2LoT violation and he instantly goes for the Saltzer.

Perhaps Angus, as you see things in the middle ground, you could answer my simple one line question I asked joshs?

I really wanted to explore what this paper is about with some helpful commentary from the varied learned people on the forum.

My questions to joshs were;

"Can you please explain your reasoning or link to an article re easy and hard absorption.

Are you saying that high work function materials like pure copper do not absorb electrons easily?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AtomAngus, a man of selective indigestion, give him Orbo pie and he will eat it all day, give him a paper from a noted prof of physics suggesting a possible 2LoT violation and he instantly goes for the Saltzer.

Perhaps Angus, as you see things in the middle ground, you could answer my simple one line question I asked joshs?

I really wanted to explore what this paper is about with some helpful commentary from the varied learned people on the forum.

You know, Atom, you would have got a lot farther with me if you had left out the first sentence, because I identify with the second one - though it would be dangerous and foolish to admit to "learned", however justified.

So piss on you too. I will get round to it when I get round to it. It is not of obviously earth shattering import, and I do have real things to do.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Geez the first line was a joke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AtomGeez the first line was a joke.

On whom?
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Grow up Angus, this is a place where some satire and even sarcasm is the norm.

The line was not meant maliciously and you have certainly dealt out worse than that.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Can anyone answer the question that joshs and Angus will not touch?

Joshs said that the prof was wrong on page 3 because high work functions mean that is hard to emit electrons and equally hard to absorb electrons. This is the reason he says that the professor is wrong so I want to explore his argument to see if makes any sense or is just an unfounded bit of nonsense.

I asked him..

"Can you please explain your reasoning or link to an article re easy and hard absorption.

Are you saying that high work function materials like pure copper do not absorb electrons easily?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Atom

A quote from joshs

They do not because the work function goes both ways. Easy to emit, means easy to absorb and vice-versa.

So he didn't say what you thought he did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AtomCan anyone answer the question that joshs and Angus will not touch?

Joshs said that the prof was wrong on page 3 because high work functions mean that is hard to emit electrons and equally hard to absorb electrons. This is the reason he says that the professor is wrong so I want to explore his argument to see if makes any sense or is just an unfounded bit of nonsense.

I asked him..

I will read and respond in the fullness of time. I congratulate Joshs on his promptness.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

@Trim

He said what I thought he said!

"vice-versa"!

means he also meant hard to emit is hard to absorb!

Do you not agree? it is what he meant, isn't it?
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Well done joshs, you promptly showed that you are a moron.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Angus is much slower witted, it will take him a week or two to make such a stupid statement of science as you did in 5 minutes. LOL
    • CommentAuthorAtom

electrons escaping a metal or metal oxide surface must overcome the electrostatic binding forces that are both quasi static and dynamic. There is a sort of relaxation constant to be applied to the geometry of the surface and near surface atoms. Whereas electron absorption is a fact of either the metal having a positive potential or the electron having a lucky day when it impacts. There is a reflection probability for an electron hitting a metal whatever its charge is (excepting when it is at very high negative potential in which case the absorption probability is zero).

There is not to my knowledge a direct correlation between emit and absorb as joshs suggested.

In fact a high work function material is an excellent absorber of electrons if it is positively charged.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

Now if someone can show me otherwise (a link perhaps to a relevant science paper) I am only too happy to go learn more about the topic.
    • CommentAuthorDivalent

Posted By: AtomCan you please explain your reasoning or link to an article re easy and hard absorption.
    I think what you meant to say was: "I have no clue about physics or engineering, and don't what to spend the countless hours (years!) to learn them by going to school and studying, or spending an equivalent amount of time in self study so that I can evaluate this persons claims myself. However, it is not sufficient for me to just ask a person who has taken the time to learn these things for his opinion. Rather, I demand that you also take your precious time teaching me the fundamentals in this internet chat room so that I can FULLY understand why you hold this opinion. Now come back and do what I ask, or I will taunt you again."
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

If you really want to know about electrons being emitted and absorbed by different materials you ought to join the other forum if you haven't already and if you ask very nicely I am sure my mate Philip Hardcastle one of the worlds foremost experts on the subject will help you but be sure to ask him nicely or you will get very sort shift.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

For those interested in electron absorption you can go to papers on elastic, inelastic and super-elastic collisions.

Obviously elastic means it bounces, inelastic means it gets absorbed, and super-elastic means not only does it bounce but it gets more energy than it had before the collision.
    • CommentAuthorAtom

[quote][cite]Posted By: Divalent[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Atom[/cite]Can you please explain your reasoning or link to an article re easy and hard absorption.[/quote]I think what you meant to say was: "I have no clue about physics or engineering, and don't what to spend the countless hours (years!) to learn them by going to school and studying, or spending an equivalent amount of time in self study so that I can evaluate this persons claims myself. However, it is not sufficient for me to just ask a person who has taken the time to learn these things for his opinion. Rather, I demand that you also take your precious time teaching me the fundamentals in this internet chat room so that I can FULLY understand why you hold this opinion. Now come back and do what I ask, or I will taunt you again."[/quote]

Yeah that's it.