Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorskeptical
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010

Real science and technology!

“The new method is based on electromagnetic pulse technology (EMPT), which was previously used primarily to expand or neck aluminum tubes. We’ve modified it to cut even hard steels. Whereas a laser takes around 1.4 seconds to cut a hole, EMPT can do the job in approximately 200 milliseconds – our method is up to seven times faster. Another advantage is that it produces no burr, thus doing away with the need for a finishing process."

http://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/research-news/2009/12/electromagnetic-fields-as-cutting-tools.jsp
    • CommentAuthorDirtfarmer

That's pretty nuts!
    Goodwill,
    -Dirtfarmer
    Might want to keep that in mind when we start designing SUPER-ORBO. ;^)
    Mmmm I want one.

Range !! Give me Range, I say...turn up the damn variac...I want to hear that thing buzz like it's got a rattler in it....
    • CommentAuthorDirtfarmer

(Deep) AMPS! AMPS!!!
    Goodwill,
    -Dirtfarmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Or stretch your money (literally) in these tough economic times.
    shrunken coins
    • CommentAuthorBabcat

[quote][cite]Posted By: skeptical[/cite]Real science and technology!

“The new method is based on electromagnetic pulse technology (EMPT), which was previously used primarily to expand or neck aluminum tubes. We’ve modified it to cut even hard steels. Whereas a laser takes around 1.4 seconds to cut a hole, EMPT can do the job in approximately 200 milliseconds – our method is up to seven times faster. Another advantage is that it produces no burr, thus doing away with the need for a finishing process."

[url]http://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/research-news/2009/12/electromagnetic-fields-as-cutting-tools.jsp[/url][/quote]

Steorn's Orbo is real science and technology too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I wonder if it can be made portable, as I have lost the keys to half a dozen bank vaults I own?
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Posted By: TrimI wonder if it can be made portable, as I have lost the keys to half a dozen bank vaults I own?
    Maybe with an UltraCap or three? ;)