Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018

Sort of a HepaHeat sort of thingie?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018 edited

You mean that it never gets uncomfortably warm in the UK? So you never run into the AGA cooker used alongside of air conditioning?

Even so, it's hard to make a good case for an AGA, as opposed to more efficient ways of weatherproofing and heating/cooling.

I believe that the top-end AGA runs somewhere around UKP 12,000? And that doesn't include any building modifications nor the installation costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixYou mean that it never gets uncomfortably warm in the UK?

It never used to, back in the day. More a kind of cold wet clammy drizzle. Mind you, I was pretty young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AsterixYou mean that it never gets uncomfortably warm in the UK? So you never run into the AGA cooker used alongside of air conditioning?

Say air what? Air conditioning in domestic premises is quite unusual in the UK still.

Even so, it's hard to make a good case for an AGA, as opposed to more efficient ways of weatherproofing and heating/cooling.

I believe that the top-end AGA runs somewhere around UKP 12,000? And that doesn't include any building modifications nor the installation costs.

You can pay what you want for a cooker (it seems!) they will set you back a few thousand new. They are not very common really - usually they are oldy worldy/farmhouse/country cottage things although they do crop up elsewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I almost bought a pizza-stone today.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018 edited

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: AsterixI do all of my cooktop work now with induction, which is probably one of the more efficient methods.

It's so efficient, in fact, that it has bamboozled many of the usual suspects into believing it is actually "overunity".

You probably thought i was kidding.
    http://jnaudin.free.fr/gegene/indexen.htm
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Hah!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: pcstruYou can pay what you want for a cooker (it seems!) they will set you back a few thousand new. They are not very common really - usually they are oldy worldy/farmhouse/country cottage things although they do crop up elsewhere.

I recall reading a story about a buyer having one installed on a third-floor kitchen, taking it on a crane through a window, as the stairway wasn't wide enough.

That one isn't going anywhere soon. What surprises me is that cooking with one is apparently something between a compromise and an art, as the temperature can't be easily varied.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018

Posted By: AsterixWhat surprises me is that cooking with one is apparently something between a compromise and an art, as the temperature can't be easily varied.

Oh definitely. I've had to use one a few times whilst staying in holiday cottages -the one I had to use last time in Scotland had a "warm" oven and a "hot" one for faster cooking. However both change in temperature as you're using the bloody thing, so it does very much become an art as you shuffle your food around - always worried that you're either burning or not really heating something up. After a few days you get into the rhythm of it, but I never really see the point.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Ultimately, I suppose the answer is that it's veddy British.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not at all. AGA=Aktiebolaget Svenska Gasaccumulator.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018 edited

Swedish in origin, however:

The cooker was introduced to England in 1929, and were manufactured there under licence in the early 1930s. Their popularity in certain parts of English society (owners of medium to large country houses) led to the coining of the term "AGA Saga" in the 1990s, referring to a genre of fiction set amongst stereotypical upper-middle-class society.

The cast-iron parts were cast at the Coalbrookdale foundry in the 1940s, where they were still made by the Aga Rangemaster Group until November 2017 when Middleyby closed the site with the loss of 35 jobs.

I have no doubt that Mary Berry's AGA was made in Blighty. Rayburns are manufactured at the old AGA factory in Telford.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2019

A selection of crazy that came across my screen today:

Canada is on the global map this week, and not for a good reason. Long known as a champion of human rights, our nation is now being celebrated as a champion of human idiocy. Canada is the place – so far the only place – where a human-rights tribunal is actually holding a hearing to determine whether a transgender woman’s rights have been violated because she couldn’t get her testicles waxed.

Neil deGrasse Tyson to keep museum job after sexual misconduct inquiry

In one alleged episode from 2009, Katelyn Allers, an associate professor of physics and astronomy at Bucknell University in Pennsylvania, said Tyson put his hand under the shoulder part of her dress while exploring her tattoo of the solar system to see if it included Pluto. Allers said the behavior was “creepy”.

The second case involved Ashley Watson, who quit her job as an assistant for Tyson on the Fox TV show Cosmos last year after what she said was inappropriate behavior on his part. In one instance, Watson said Tyson invited her into his apartment and told her he wanted to hug her but if he did he’d “just want more”.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusCanada is on the global map this week, and not for a good reason. Long known as a champion of human rights, our nation is now being celebrated as a champion of human idiocy. Canada is the place – so far the only place – where a human-rights tribunal is actually holding a hearing to determine whether a transgender woman’s rights have been violated because she couldn’t get her testicles waxed.

Really plays hob with gendered pronouns, doesn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

We will have to adopt Hungarian as the official language

én, I; te, thou; ő, he or she; mi, we; ti, you; ők, they
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2019 edited

I don't know which thought is more "creepy". A tg woman wanting to wax her testicles, or Neil deGrasse Tyson looking for a Pluto tattoo up some woman's short sleeve.

But wait... a transgender woman, with testicles? Are we thinking of a natural-born male who is now trans to female, but who still has testicles for some nostalgic reason, or a natural-born woman who has had the "full monty" installed and now doesn't like the non-glabrousness of the rugose dangly part?

Either way I think waxing is cosmetically silly. Depilatory creams are much less painful. But maybe that's the point, who can say.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Boy, that would consign much of the population to illiteracy. Those Ugric/Samoyedic languages are real mind-benders.

On a related subject, the Beeb had an interesting segment about bilingual speakers choosing in which language to do arithmetic. One notable example was Dutch+English children. "Do it in English--it's easier". Dutch, like German uses a word ordering for larger (>10) numbers that is contrary to the written order. E.g., 56 = "sechs und fümfzig", vs. fifty-six.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Asterixthat would consign much of the population to illiteracy

So - not much change there, then.
    Four-and-twenty transgender blackbirds, baked into a pie?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinBut wait... a transgender woman, with testicles? Are we thinking of a natural-born male who is now trans to female, but who still has testicles for some nostalgic reason, or a natural-born woman who has had the "full monty" installed and now doesn't like the non-glabrousness of the rugose dangly part?

The person in question is just a troll and a creepy pervert - and a racist to boot. I can't believe he is even been given the time of day by a human rights council, it just belittles real human rights cases.

Or as one of the lawyers representing 3 of the waxers says:

"We don't believe that it's a human right to be able to compel a woman to wax male genitalia," said lawyer and Justice Centre president John Carpay.

No shit.

Worth checking out his previous history of comments on immigrants (dirty, liars, unclean) and his very weird stuff about "young girls" and periods.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/the-truth-about-jessica-yaniv-is-beginning-to-emerge.