Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanTesla has a huge technical lead (because they are led by an engineer with vision).

What 'huge' technical lead do they have?

They have a lead in some things, most of which relates to specific technology - motors, batteries, possibly software. They do not have something new; others make motors, batteries, software - oh and cars, in numbers Tesla has not been able to match; even to meet their own demand (maximise the revenue from their potential market).

I see this shaking out via licensing of Tesla's "skateboard" and ancillary tech so that all boats can rise.

All boats rise? You mean, they maintain their position as a small player in the luxury car market, unless you add the words "all electric", while VW, Ford evolve their production and produce a car in numbers that meet demand when infrastructure has been developed capable of servicing the demand.

That said I guess the stock value thinks there is some magic IP sauce they can sell on - it is not based on sales volume or profitability.

But thinking a stock price is rational is, irrational so as always before I delete a post, I wonder why I bothered writing this drivel.
    It's OK to be wrong.
    Posted By: AsterixTry pricing a replacement ECU for your modern car. It's basically commodity silicon and fairly cheap to make. I suspect that the packaging and potting costs more than the MCU inside.

Have done. I agree, it's about three dollars worth of components. The connector is probably the most expensive part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt's OK to be wrong.

I believe I am able to address subjects with an evidence based approach, as evidenced by the detail in my post. Compare and contrast to your response.
    Yes, definitely, no complaints there at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2020

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI know you won't watch it, but they do showcase here several examples of how the "Tesla competition" is shaping up.

IDK, I watch that channel for entertainment and they sure come up with some ridiculous ideas on a regular basis. Tesla is a relatively small car manufacturer with a very loyal customer base similar to Apple in the 2000's. The big players haven't even started to 'compete' yet. Because they are slow and didn't take Tesla seriously.

Also, the automotive industry moves much slower than the market for computers or smart phones. (*)

And where is the Tesla <25000k € BEV?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2020 edited

That 'tesla is selling their skateboard' nonsense is pure fan fiction.

1. Because the profit margin is highest in the final product. (So why would they)

2. MEB, etc. All big car manufacturers are of course working on their EV platforms.

Tesla is a great brand with exceptional products but, as Angus always says...
    Wir kochen alle nur mit Wasser*.

*Füsik
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

And as much as I like Teslas products, I don't think the stock is overly undervalued. OTOH, Apple.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Ausserdem, even when the traditional car mafas successfully transitioned to BEV there is still a place/niche for Tesla to exist. And if, against all odds, Tesla grows like a Bernie Meth-dough? All the better, you're welcome.
    EVs, with their Remote Combustion Engines, will help to divide society along yet another dimension. Clean EVs versus the Black Smokers. It has to be that way since the electric grids don't have the capacity to keep all them clean EVs fully charged up, so there will always be self-contained ICEers running around polluting the local atmospheres. Bound to be a few good bad movies coming out of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Buy a Twitzy and 3m2 of solar cells and your commute is covered, if you either use public transport or have some other means of storing that solar and fill up the EV later.

(oder bewirb dich irgendwo als nachtwächter oder nötigenfalls sogar als nachtschichtler. dann lädt sich das elektrische automobil im schlaf auf, sozusagen... oder eben solarzellen und strikt reduzierte verwendung des oben bereits genannten verkehrsmittels)
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

Posted By: alsetalokinEVs, with their Remote Combustion Engines, will help to divide society along yet another dimension. Clean EVs versus the Black Smokers. It has to be that way since the electric grids don't have the capacity to keep all them clean EVs fully charged up, so there will always be self-contained ICEers running around polluting the local atmospheres. Bound to be a few good bad movies coming out of that.

I know you know, but for some others: replacing all cars by EV’s would only require 10% more electricty production. Which equals the amount of renewable wind and solar that will be deployed in the next 5 years anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Ich weiß nicht. Wenn uns die Verbreitung dieser gefährlichen Elektromobile flächendeckend in die Nachtarbeit drängt, bin ich eher nicht dafür. Nein danke.
    Put that coal back in the ground. Now.
    Coal is just nature's way of preserving the primordial atmosphere of the planet. Carbon cycles into and back out of the atmosphere through the agency of plants and time. Swift time in the case of widespread fires, and slow time in the case of coalification. I have the feeling that, except for the occasional carbonaceous chondrite meteorite bringing in new material, the planet's carbon is conserved, and sloshes back and forth between several natural reservoirs such as coal and atmospheric CO2.
    $TSLA hit a high of almost $600 today.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2020

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2020

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman$TSLA hit a high of almost $600 today.

BMW P/E = 8.9
    TSLA P/E = -127