Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010 edited

... which was to use the same mechanical advantage used by the Ventmobil and get his wheel to sail directly into the gravity wind.

space...... ]

Now that would really have impressed his audience.

We won't need laser drivers for a space elevator. The Bessler wheel Mark 2 is going to pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

Trim will be pleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

Fantastic Frank! Bessler was nothing compared to you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: DuracellFantastic Frank! Bessler was nothing compared to you!

On the contrary. What he achieved with the knowledge he had was fantastic. To achieve the equivalent with all the insights we now possess is much easier.

Even though I now realise how it can be done using a hydraulic amplifier and a elastic energy storage to achieve adiabatic differential strain energy, I can't yet work out how Bessler did it with much simpler apparatus.

Bessler had no knowledge of the Carnot cycle where the adiabatic legs show clearly how to get a volume change (length change of a spoke) whilst storing strain energy which can be subsequently released in the complementary leg.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Grimer

On the contrary. What he achieved with the knowledge he had was fantastic. To achieve the equivalent with all the insights we now possess is much easier.

Even though I now realise how it can be done using a hydraulic amplifier and a elastic energy storage to achieve adiabatic differential strain energy, I can't yet work out how Bessler did it with much simpler apparatus.

I think they guy who looked behind the canvas might be able to tell you....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Bessler had no knowledge of the Carnot cycle where the adiabatic legs show clearly how to get a volume change (length change of a spoke) whilst storing strain energy which can be subsequently released in the complementary leg.

Of course! That was what it was! Brilliant! I love it! When are you going on tour with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

When are you going to have it made? A small loan on your house should cover it. Surely it's worth a gamble for a Nobel prize?

Trim will be pleased.

Why I don't like the space elevator much, I prefer the rotating capture tether.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: BigOilRep

I rather doubt it. He would have to understand what he was looking at which would have been more difficult than understanding what I'm proposing.

Posted By: Duracell

Of course! That was what it was! Brilliant! I love it! When are you going on tour with it?

Never.

Someone else will build it when they understand why and how it can be built.
    Posted By: GrimerSomeone else will build it when they understand why and how it can be built.

You, overconfident and CMB should start a think tank.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: TrimWhen are you going to have it made? A small loan on your house should cover it. Surely it's worth a gamble for a Nobel prize?

Knowing why it will work and how it will work is one thing. Building one is quite another. I've no doubt that as I gradually explain the details of why and how, some builder who follows the argument will recognise it's correct
    and take up the challenge of making a working model. As for Nobel prizes anyone who builds one is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned. My reward is arriving at the understanding of how to build one and why it will work. That's why I went in to research in the first place, not the normal career path for a civil engineer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: Knuckles OToole
    You, overconfident and CMB should start a think tank.

This forum is a think tank. Why do you imagine I am putting these arguments forward here and not at BesslerWheel.com. This forum has many highly talented and experienced members who are more than capable of understanding any argument I put forward (and pulling it to pieces if it's wrong).

Also, many members of this forum are extraordinarily generous with their insults - which spurs one on to greater efforts. That was the trouble with the SPUD. Everybody was so polite to each other. There was nothing like the stimulation one gets here from the Voices of the Damned.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

This forum is a think tank.
    Yeah, well... you flatter the forum, Grimer. Parts of it, contributed to by 0.007 are more like a sewer.

And while some of the posters here understand your arguments about Bessler's silly idea, I have yet to see anyone who agrees with your flight of fancy.

In a world of zero friction, Bessler would just break even. That's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoSideSam

Who needs rockets when you can just raise your gravity sail, tack into the gravity wind and sail off to the universe.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: maryyugo
    This forum is a think tank.
    Yeah, well... you flatter the forum, Grimer. Parts of it, contributed to by 0.007 are more like a sewer.

And while some of the posters here understand your arguments about Bessler's silly idea, I have yet to see anyone who agrees with your flight of fancy.

In a world of zero friction, Bessler would just break even. That's all.

From your posts I have the impression that your expertise is primarily in what physicists might unkindly describe as the soft sciences. That is not to say that I agree with them. However, I don't suppose maths is your forte so I can understand if you find my arguments impenetrable.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Grimer, your arguments aren't impenetrable, they're irrational, dreamlike, and incoherent and they don't relate to anything resembling how nature works, starting with COE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: NoSideSamWho needs rockets when you can just raise your gravity sail, tack into the gravity wind and sail off to the universe.

Absolutely.

But just as a sail boat need two media to interact with so also a space equivalent needs two media. The gravity field is one and the electric and magnetic fields two possible others.

Science fact has followed science fiction before and will no doubt do so many times in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: maryyugoGrimer, your arguments aren't impenetrable, they're irrational, dreamlike, and incoherent and they don't relate to anything resembling how nature works, starting with COE.

I've no doubt you would have made the same comments to the people who first pointed out the energy to be obtained from atomic fission.
    Posted By: GrimerI've no doubt you would have made the same comments to the people who first pointed out the energy to be obtained from atomic fission.

By the same token belief in the irrational leads one to think someone can walk on water.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: BigOilRep

I rather doubt it. He would have to understand what he was looking at

I think that would be pretty easy, as it was some woman turning a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@KOT

By the same token belief in the irrational leads one to think someone can walk on water.

Oh yea of little faith.
    • CommentAuthornova

Is that Grimer?
    I don't know how one can read Grimer and not shudder.