Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited

It's mostly ugly too-- stuff I'd expect from a child with surplus brushes, a bucket and too much time on their hands.

https://news.artnet.com/market/christies-postwar-and-contemporary-evening-sale-493985

And more insanity (especially the silly crucified frog with the mug):

https://news.artnet.com/market/christies-bound-to-fail-auction-492119

Some rich people are simply nuts, without taste and stupid as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorSwissie
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited

Jackson Pollock. Enough said.

I hate modern art and the business behind it. I happen to know an "artist" who paints four squares on a canvas (which takes one minute), gives it a fucking idiotic name like "Marriage of Dolphins in November" and sells the piece of crap for 15k.
    It made him rich. He just built his own house.
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016

There's one thing I need to see in art in order to appreciate it: effort. Whenever the work suggests some kind of effort behind its creation in order to transmit something, I won't hate it at first sight. That's for me the difference between good art and non/bad art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSwissie
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016

I trust you realise that, by juxtaposing two well-known works of art, I have created something new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016

I wondered what your point was. Surely you couldn't have been trashing Seurat.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I've seen the Seurat (A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande) at the Art Institute of Chicago and it's stunning and beautiful (and very large). I was not disparaging works like that. I am not sure I would admit that the Seurat is worth whatever it would go for these days (priceless you say?) but then some old cars sell in the millions and some of those were not that great when they were new.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

This Mark Rothko went for $89 million. PLEASE OH PLEASE explain that to me!

I would have named it "Dirty Water on Canvas"
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: maryyugoThis Mark Rothko went for $89 million. PLEASE OH PLEASE explain that to me!

That looks to me like a superb photorealistic rendition of a parquet floor. What the fuk is your problem?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I'm very fortunate--I'm basically tone-deaf to visual art. I have various botanical linoleum-block prints hung on the walls, but I never notice them. That's about as far as I go with marveling at daubs of pigmented oil or water.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited

OK so maybe some people get a mystical experience from a Rothko. I remember, also at the Chicago Museum of Art, seeing a huge mural type of painting which looked entirely black or just "off-black" when it caught the light. I laughed at it. A docent came over, told me to sit and stare at it for a while, and sure enough, a delicate rainbow of color stripes came through the black and can only be seen if you concentrate on the painting for a while. It's definitely an impressive experience (I admit it gave me chills at the time) but maybe not worth $90 million. Still a definite achievement.

Anyway, this description reminds me of how wine aficionados describe a $20,000 bottle of Rotschild a hundred years old.

https://geroasrothko.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/return-to-the-rothko-room/
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited

I like my art entartet.
    1903 13003
    I have been pissed off about Rothko for a long time.
    ... but really ...

38.033326° -115.442758°
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokin... but really ...

38.033326° -115.442758°
    alien base?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

What am I bid for this art?

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokin38.033326° -115.442758°

Sandcastle competition?
    Racetrack?