Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

We are on the brink alright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010 edited

Posted By: alsetalokin@Frank: if by "perfect" you mean lacking viscosity or mass...but the LÆ has viscosity, mass, and a refractive index, so is far from being a "perfect" fluid in that sense. I'm surprised you don't know that

I'm surprised you're surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010

Posted By: MileHigh...
    Yes, electric fields and magnetic fields can store energy in three-dimensional space. ...

Indeed. But they do not store the same sign of energy. The magnetic field stores positive strain energy, tension energy, whilst the electric field stores negative strain energy, compression energy (Ekergy)

Outwardly, a reinforced concrete beam looks the same as a prestressed concrete beam but inwardly they are very different. In making a prestressed concrete beam one has manufactured an explosive material in which positive and negative energies balance. Putting a jack hammer to the prestressed beam is like putting a detonator to a lump of explosive. When one discusses energy one has to be careful to specify what sign of energy one is talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010 edited

I suppose the reason that people fail to realise the existence of negative energy (Ekergy) is that scholars are introduced to the idea of energy as Kinetic Energy and fail to appreciate that v² has two roots. By the time they are introduced to strain energy, KE has worn such deep grooves in their brain that the cannot climb out to the plateau above.

It is much easier to recognise the existence of ectropy since entropy is expressed as disorder which is a negation of order. Had the originator of the concept wished to hide the nature of entropy he would have done better to have called it Chaos.
    Wow, I have an Ekergy reservoir on my desk - the tube of my monitor.
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

Posted By: GrimerI suppose the reason that people fail to realise the existence of negative energy (Ekergy) is that scholars are introduced to the idea of energy as Kinetic Energy and fail to appreciate that v² has two roots.

Remember that i^2 = -1, so you could introduce another two roots perpendicular to KE and Ekergy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: UtD_Grant
    Posted By: GrimerI suppose the reason that people fail to realise the existence of negative energy (Ekergy) is that scholars are introduced to the idea of energy as Kinetic Energy and fail to appreciate that v² has two roots.

Remember that i^2 = -1, so you could introduce another two roots perpendicular to KE and Ekergy.
    You could indeed - and carry on the same process ad infinitum since it is turtles all the way down.

But we have to learn to walk before we learn to run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010

I have selected a single electric field line for the capacitor and a single magnetic field line for the inductor. The hierarchically symmetrical pattern is self evident.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

And because the interaction between electric and magnetic fields is not at 90 degrees but some angle very close to 90 explains why there is a right hand rule. If the deviation is one side of 90 you get a right hand rule. If on the other hand it were to be the other side of 90 then you would get a left hand rule.
    • CommentAuthornova

You live in a strange world.
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

If you fed it with a complex waveform like a pulse wave, you'd effectively be supplying an infinite series of discrete sinusoids (due to Fourier Analysis), with various complex phase relationships. By changing the duty-cycle, the amplitudes and phase relationships could change dynamically in various interesting ways.
    • CommentAuthorJonR

if you clamp two magnets together, in repulsion, and glue them so that they're constantly in repulsion, even though glued together - is that like pre stressed concrete?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: JonRif you clamp two magnets together, in repulsion, and glue them so that they're constantly in repulsion, even though glued together - is that like pre stressed concrete?

Mmm...To the extent that you have a quasi-Solid Phase in compression, the magnets, and a quasi fluid phase in tension, the glue, yes, I suppose it would be like prestressed concrete. The magnets would posses compressive strain energy and the glue, tensile strain energy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010 edited

Frank, the electric field lines don't spiral around like that, they originate and terminate on charges. And the magnetic field lines don't spiral, they circle, and don't terminate at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010

Posted By: alsetalokinthe electric field lines don't spiral around like that, they originate and terminate on charges. And the magnetic field lines don't spiral, they circle, and don't terminate at all.

Well, perhaps the magnetic field lines only APPEAR to circulate, but actually go around a Moebius path and end on themselves upside down and left-to-right reversed. Since both poles are in the same place they thereby cancel. It is these superposed selfcancelling monopoles that constitute the alpha (or maybe the omicron) atmosphere. I'm sure it is true, but I'm only interested in MOLEANDERS myself, so somebody else should do the experiment, whatever it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokinthe electric field lines don't spiral around like that, they originate and terminate on charges. And the magnetic field lines don't spiral, they circle, and don't terminate at all.

Well, perhaps the magnetic field lines only APPEAR to circulate, but actually go around a Moebius path and end on themselves upside down and left-to-right reversed. Since both poles are in the same place they thereby cancel. It is these superposed selfcancelling monopoles that constitute the alpha (or maybe the omicron) atmosphere. I'm sure it is true, but I'm only interested in MOLEANDERS myself, so somebody else should do the experiment, whatever it is.

That is a very intelligent post Angus - especially the bit about the Moebius path - and I'll tell you for why. Many years ago Graham Armer and I were having lunch with a professor from one of the British Universities and I explained why I believed that people were mistaken in their belief that magnetic field circulate and do not spiral. He immediately became very animated at my remark and said that an experiment had been carried out where a single electron had been carried around an wire and something had changed, a phase change or something like that. I did not understand what he was talking about at the time. I remember the incident because of his manifest excitement at my remark. Your mention of the Moebius path brings it all back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010

Posted By: JonRif you clamp two magnets together, in repulsion, and glue them so that they're constantly in repulsion, even though glued together - is that like pre stressed concrete?

Having thought some more about your comment I can see that there's more to it than I first appreciated I thought. I understand that neodymium magnets are made by compressing powdered material in a strong magnetic field. This must lead to a quasi-Solid phase in compression and a quasi-Fluid phase in tension. i.e. whatever is acting as the "glue". If the balance between the strain energies is right then one effectively has an explosive. Only a small amount of energy ( a "detonator") is needed to set the material vibrating to destruction as in the case of the opera singer and the high quality wine glass.

Now there are accounts (from Steorn for one) of neodymium magnets impacting a wall and literally disappearing into a cloud of neodymium smoke. Prestressed indeed!

Perhaps this all has a bearing on the way in which prestressed concrete motorway sections have failed in recent earthquakes. It also makes one wonder how safe Britain's prestressed concrete AGRs are and whether quite a mild earthquake could set them into resonance and lead to them exploding. Some years ago a series of cooling towers (Ferrybridge?) were set into resonance by the wind. There is a video of it somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Early in the history of prestressed concrete certain footbridges were built. Because the action of prestressing lowers the elastic modulus markedly compared with the same bridge in reinforced concrete it meant that people jumping up and down on these footbridges could set them into resonance and thereby lead to their collapse.
    I like this Physics 2.0 lecture and am listening intently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Below is a post I made in May 2008 to Fizzx.com

==============================================================
    Below is a post I made in May 2008 to Fizzx.com

==============================================================

BBC.Atom 2 of 3 - The Key to the Cosmos

Transcript (32min50sec in)

The war had caused a massive two billion dollars to be poured into nuclear research. People now knew an astonishing amount about the atom and its nucleus. Specifically, scientists had detailed measurements of how stable or unstable different atomic nuclei were. That stability was the direct result of the battle between the strong nuclear force holding the nucleus together and the electromagnetic force pushing it apart. In some atoms the balance tipped towards the strong force making them very stable but when the electro-magnetic force had the upper hand they were inherently unstable. By the late forties scientists began to investigate the implications of the way nuclear stability of atoms varied. They noticed one very strange fact about the nuclear stability of one particular atom. Of all the ninety two different elements, of the ninety two different types of atoms that make up the universe around us, gases like hydrogen and oxygen, solids like carbon and silicon, metals like gold and silver, one is special, iron.

So what makes iron so special? It stems from the unique structure of its nucleus. The twenty six protons, along with the neutrons, combine in a very special way to make iron incredibly stable. For some reason nature has decreed this as the number that allows the strong force and the electromagnetic force to balance each other perfectly. It makes iron the most stable element in the universe. Now we can understand why fusion occurs. lighter atoms can combine together to become more iron-like. And fission is the opposite process. Atoms heavier than iron can split apart into lighter more iron-like pieces. So all elements seek the stability of iron. And that fact underpins the whole history of the cosmos. The best way to understand this is to imagine the relative stability of atoms as a couple of graphs. Here's what they show.

Here is another version of the above graph.

(continued below)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

(continued)

The very lightest elements, hydrogen and helium, are not quite as stable as they could be. They'd like to be something else, something even more stable. Similarly, the heaviest elements, like uranium and polonium are actually unstable. In fact they are so unstable that they fall to pieces naturally through radioactivity. And here in the middle are the most stable atoms of all; nickel, cobalt and iron.

The amazing thing to me at this point is that Prof.Jimal-Khalili does not make any reference to magnetism; does not see the crucial significance of his statement:"For some reason nature has decreed this as the number that allows the strong force and the electromagnetic force to balance each other perfectly." It is this balance between the outward pressure of the SOLID PHASE (the nucleons) and the differential inward pressure on the FLUID PHASE (the strong force pore medium) that gives rise to the relative ease with which the negative entropy of the magnetic material can be increased to give us magnets. The strain energy released by incremental change in one phase is perfectly balanced by the strain energy absorbed by the other phase. The magnetic elements are at a turning point as far as energy is concerned. Indeed, in view of the direction the findings of this forum are taking, one could even say a tipping point. :D

"So far, so good. Now here is the amazing bit. This nuclear stability graph turned out to be functionally similar to a different graph altogether. It is a similarity that no one had ever suspected. That's because data from this other graph came not from the tiny nucleus but from as different an arena as you can imagine."

Well this second graph certainly doesn't look "uncannily similar" to me. But there is a graph which is uncannily similar and thanks to Prof.J-K I can now line up the funtional aspects of that graph with the functional aspects of the nuclear stability graph.

The similar graph comes not from the stars but from the earth under our feet. More specifically from the science of Soil Mechanics or Géotechniques if you want the posh name. 8-)

(continued below)