Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010

(continued)

This graph shows characteristic relationships between dry density and moisture content for a soil under given states of compaction. The optimum moisture content is the point where an incremental change in the pore water strain energy (the FLUID phase) is equal to an incremental change of the opposite sign in the strain energy of the soil particles (the SOLID phase).

The forces are in equilibrium because the algebraic sum of the strain energies for a small disturbance is zero. Indeed that is all the equilibrium of forces amounts to anyway. Forces are merely aliases for unappreciated strains.

==============================================================

In the light of this thread it would seem that iron is some kind of tuned circuit. I believe that is Bessler's secret. He was after all very skilled in making both clocks and organs. I shall be dealing with this in another thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Bessler's only secret is the woman who made his wheels whirl. So to speak. From manipulations performed somewhere under the table. So to speak. What was that you said about his skill with organs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Mary
    You sound so envious of that woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010 edited

Posted By: GrimerThe amazing thing to me at this point is that Prof.Jimal-Khalili does not make any reference to magnetism; does not see the crucial significance of his statement:"For some reason nature has decreed this as the number that allows the strong force and the electromagnetic force to balance each other perfectly."

What?!!!

(Emphasis in the above is mine, to make the point I am making.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: GrimerThe amazing thing to me at this point is that Prof.Jimal-Khalili does not make any reference to magnetism; does not see the crucial significance of his statement:"For some reason nature has decreed this as the number that allows the strong force and theelectromagneticforce to balance each other perfectly."

What?!!!
    (Emphasis in the above is mine, to make the point I am making.)

The point I was making was that iron is magnetic precisely because the strong and EM forces balance - are resonating so to speak. JK did not draw attention to this possibility.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Grimerthe strong and EM forces balance - are resonating so to speak. JK did not draw attention to this possibility.

Not surprising, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010 edited

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: Grimerthe strong and EM forces balance - are resonating so to speak. JK did not draw attention to this possibility.

Not surprising, really.

OK. I agree it is too speculative to be included in his talk. I was exaggerating to draw attention to the point since I believe the two must be connected. Anyway I am grateful to him for making that point since it is something I had never seen elsewhere.