Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010 edited

Though we have a name for negative entropy, i.e. ectropy, we don't seem to have a name for negative energy and this leads to confusion when distinguishing tension strain energy from compression strain energy. I propose therefore to reserve the term energy for ectropy and tension strain energy - and use the term Ekergy for ectropy and compression strain energy.

This ties in with the use of Compreture (the inverse of temperature) for compression energy. In fact it would be more helpful to spell temperature with an n rather than an m as this would then provide a useful mnemonic for the fact that increase in temperature is associated with increase in tensile strain energy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

I am full to the brim with ekergy this morning!
    And what is the name for the universe where all these wonderful things happen?
    Umiverse?
    • CommentAuthorLakes

The ErnieVerse! :D
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

Posted By: bloodymediaAnd what is the name for the universe where all these wonderful things happen?

If you need two different names for energy, then surely it'd be the Duoverse ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

As far as the engineer is concerned Ekergy (compression strain) is just as useful as Energy which we can now restrict to tensile strain. Finding methods to make energy consumption more efficient is just as useful as finding more sources of fuel. Indeed, if one believes that man made global warning is a hazard then high ekergy solutions are better than high energy solutions.

I had experience of this many years ago when I went up to Derby to inspect some failing glass reinforced cement panels. British Rail IT division were commissioning a large computer building to cater for expansion of their work. They had the foundations already prepared but by the time the contract was due to be signed for the rest of the building the size of computers had been so much reduced that that large accommodation was no longer needed. This happened twice.

The reduction in the amount of energy by the increase in ekergy is dealt with (inter alia) in the very interesting book shown below.

TheBottomlessWell

http://www.amazon.com/Bottomless-Well-Twilight-Virtue-Energy/dp/0465031161
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: DuracellI am full to the brim with ekergy this morning!

Sorry to hear that. Who squashed you?